1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

After plowing drive, do you do the sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lasher66, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

HI,
    Just wondering how many of you that do residential snow removal include the sidewalks with the plowing of the drive? I know everyones ideal plow is to not get out of the truck, but I noticed that most residential customers want the sidewalks done also. Another question is what kind of snowblower do you use? I am looking for something light and powerful that I can lift up to the truck without using ramps if possible. Thanks

Jason

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Jason,
    I will shovel about 5 walks of my 40 driveways, and it's an extra charge. In NO WAY can you EVER charge the same for the walkway included with the driveway. I'm typically $5 per push more for a shoveled walk.

~Kevin

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have plowed a few drives with our atv and for the sidewalk I just angle the blade and go down it. The atv blade angled is like 4" narrower than the sidewalks here.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I do my whole route without getting out of the truck.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

maybe its just me but getting out of the truck to shovel a little seems like a good way to keep from falling asleep.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll do it, but I'll get $40 / residential, or $500 / season for a city lot.

7. Mick

from Maine

For me, getting out of the truck is a good way to fall and get hurt.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Paging SnoFarmer, Paging SnoFarmer.

Where ya at man, this one is just for us. LMAO

PS Where's that moron from Ann Arbor when you need him. xysport xysport

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Mick,
    You are my role model.;)
    I'm down to 1 account that I shovel/snowblower and it's not my parents house either. Maybe some year soon.

:D I know.
    But...Lasher66 sounded so genuine and his Q was not baited..lol

Shoveling/snowblowing,
    You are going to get out of your truck that makes how much an hour to take a pay cut to shovel/snowblow?

Only offer to do their walks after a big snow is over and on a per account basis. I know it's only shoveling but you need to charge more for it than you think.

The plummer does not change their rate for different jobs nor does the electrician or your mechanic, so why do you?

Bid the whole job do not offer your services a-la cart.

PS. I do not take any more accounts that requires us to get out of our trucks.

10. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

my route consists of 6 banks and 1 chiropractic office.....i get out at each one.....and theres some large walks. I use a blower. then calcium on the walks and salt the lot with my tailgate salter. time comsuming...yea.... but im a sub contractor paid by hour... extremely well.

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You'd think that place would discourage shoveling..... Falling down on the way in = 6months more of treatment!

j/k of course... had to say it!

12. Mick

from Maine

I had to laugh, too. I really think Lasher66 was sincere in his question, but just reminded me of that thread and the other one about shoveling in front of the garage, where the guy called me "just plain lazy". There have been some real doozies in the past. I expect someone will come along and liven things up again this winter.

13. Mark Oomkes

Sorry Lasher, I also believe your question is sincere, it's just some old history that we had fun with last year.

Mick, if you want a doozy, check out the 2 million sq ft thread. There's a couple real doozies in that one.

14. Mick

from Maine

Mark, I just read through that thread. I'd read the original post and I think the first reply, but hadn't kept up with it. I'd agree with the poster who said - "Someone change the name of this thread to Lesson #1 for beginners. This should be posted as a teaching tool for others."

15. Lasher66

Lasher66 Member

Im glad I got the chance to amuse everyone, but I was sincere thats why I put it in the beginners forum. HA HA. I figured the plowing veterans do not get out of the truck, but when you first start your business, you cant be picky until you build it to the point that you can. Just like my lawncare business, I am able to be very choosy now that I have been to the max with customers. I only take the ones that I ride with the zero turn instead of the walk behinds. Thanks for the info.

Jason

16. Mark Oomkes

Lasher, I agree, just make sure you do your best to get compensated for your extra time.