1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

After market stereo in 2005 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Playboy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I can tell this is going to be a fun job.... I looked into the wiring harness to get some ideas and it's $100! http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCODCGM09?vq_id=none
    Seems i got my work cut out for me. I need to see what is in the R.A.P. I don't care about the door chime or seat belt chime. I just replaced the rear door speakers with some Pioneer 4x6 from Walmart on clearance for $20. I think they will do just fine for rear fill. There is so much space on the rear doors i'm almost thinking of putting 8" subs in them .... I didn't use any sound deadening because i'm not going to amp the rear speakers....
    Now for the front doors I have some nice JL audio XR 5x7 components. I wish they where 6.5's but I had these in my Explorer. The Chevys door are nice and thick so shouldn't need to much sound deadening.
    Let me know if you guys want any pics of the install.....
    I just like chatting about car/truck stuff and the things we do to them.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I just got a 2005 Chevy ext cab with the Bose speaker's and the GM factory CD player and it rocks. It is the best sound I have ever had in a truck. You should be able to get those same components at a Salvage yard.

Good Luck Mike
  3. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

from walmart oooooooooo yea that will sound good :dizzy: save
    your mony and post when you get a good system
  4. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Ok I said I got some rear fill Pioneer speakers from walmart....... What does that have to do with me getting a good system? For rear fill they actually sound very good giving the requirements of a rear fill speaker. If you noticed i also said i have a set of JL XR series components which are JL's top model. I have two Elemental Design 10" subs with a Rockford Fosgate Type RF X6 mono amp that was pushing them.... I do think I have a good system but I'm all ears as to what you consider a "good system". BTW I hate the way MB Quartz sound. A/D/S makes a good speaker but at the time I needed a 5x7. Boston's where a second pick but i chose the JL's.
  5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Well i got my radio in this weekend. What was a pain in the rear was the way in which the factory radio is wired. I don't have the bose radio but did have 4 speakers.
    I used my cheap Pioneer 4x6's from Walmart wired directly to the radio, I have an old school Rockford punch 200x2 pushing my JL's in the front doors. I had to make a bracket out of 1/4" oak to fit the 6x8's in the doors. I put the tweeters where the stock tweeters were mounted. It has decent sound stage but I'm not going all out on this truck. My wife wants me to put some stuff in her MDX so I have two Elemental Design 10" subs I will be splitting up. One in my truck and one in her SUV. I have a Rockford Type RFx5 i'll be using for her SUV.

I was able to use the factory ground and constant power for my radio from the stock radios wiring harness. The challenge was the 12 volt powered wire. After looking all around the radio area for an aux 12v powered wire i decide to just go to the ignition for it.

The only thing that doesn't work now is the seat belt and door chime which i'm glad they don't. The 12v powered wire going to the stock radio was not 12v. It was more like 2v. I know Ford does something similar but they at least use 5v... It appears the stock radio has sensors for the door/seat belt that when they receive the signal, you hear it through the radio. I guess is saves on relays and stuff but what a pain in the rear it would be if the chime didn't work and some one really wanted it fixed...... The dealer would have to replace the radio which costs a lot more the just a relay....
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Uh, I don;t think it actually says anywhere that the constant power wire in Fords are anything BUT 5V. I Also don;t think it says anywhere that the constant power in Chevy's IS 12V... you have to read and not assume. Just because your new radio needs 12v Constant doesn't mean the factory (anyone's factory) did also.

That assumes the Radio is the fault which is highly unlikely. 90% of the time in systems like that the sensor is the fault- especially seatbelt and key-in-ignition systems. The radio's maximum influence is acting as a solid state relay, tone generator and amplifier. Actually, if you look into it I suspect you'll find the Radio is only producing the noise and the solid state relay is now part of the master computer. They do this kind of thing when they are convinced a given part (like the ss relay) will never fail in the life cycle of the vehicle (10 years)
  7. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

The constant power wire in the Chevy is 12v. I tested the line prior to putting my radio on it. The switched power wire was about 2v. Same as Ford but the switched is about 5v.