1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

After market cab light wiring- HELP

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by VOGLERny, May 16, 2012.

1. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

I recentley bought a new truck (2003 F350). Truck came with after market cab lights that are already installed but as i found out. the wiring hasnt been finished. Theres a single red wire that runs down the drivers side pillar and thats as far as it goes.

- i also tried to test the lights to make sure they work first by running a wire from the end of the red wire straight to the battery. That resulted in only the light closest to the drivers door illuminating alittle. Dont know what that means.

-i dont know anything about the lights. so any advice on what i should do. or information on how to finish wiring the lights would be greatly appreciated

Light1.jpg

light2.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Means that either the bulbs are burnt out on the other ones or they didn't connect the lights together

3. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Got tired of messing with them.. spent the money and got new Recon lights

4. dieselss

Ok. Did u get them working then?

5. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Ordered them the other day. should be here within the next couple days. Hopefully with some real good instructions

6. dieselss

Wiring ain't that hard. If there not clear send me a pm and I can walk you through it

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the wire for the roof lights connects to a plug behind the passenger side kick panel.

8. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Alright i got the new lights in the mail today.. Still alittle comfused on where the Wire from the lights goes to.. Is there a plug behind my kick panel even though i didnt have factory lights? if so does anybody have a description on what it looks like and how to connect the wire to it

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if i remember correctly the plug has 6 wires going to it, and it is next to the fuel pump interrupter switch

10. jrtcbmw

jrtcbmw Member

Ditch the recon lights and for the same price buy OEM kit with factory harness. Looks better, fits better, last long and easier to install. I see the kits on ebay all the time, or call a dealership. most of them would be willing to give them away (old stock).

I am going to be buying new bases this year, because the ones i have i messed up the install.

11. dieselss

I'll look when I get home at mine, I'll take some pics too. U might have get some wire and wire the lights together

12. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Alright guys i think somehow ive managed to figure this out.. Black wire is ground and brown is power??. The Recon light harness has a black wire that i believe is ment to be grounded on the roof. Would it be easier just to extend that down to the black ground wire?

Wire.jpg

13. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

Finally got all the lights hooked up.. not as easy as it seems. ended up blowing a fuse and breaking the head light switch... and the instructions say to drill the holes a certain size for the screws that anchor the lights to the roof. yet the screws that they gave me are way too small for the holes. i guess i should have checked that before i started drilling

14. VOGLERny

VOGLERny Member

New Lights

cablights.jpg