1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

After market bearings for Western spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lawn Lad, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I need to find two different bearings for the Western Pro Flo 2. I'm not sure who makes the bearings (Timkin or otherwise). Does anyone know where I can get these bearings other than from the Western dealer? Or are they proprietary? I think they're just standard bearings.

Part #68619 - Flange Bearing with 3/4" bore
    Part #65776 - Pillow block bearing with 3/4" bore

I've been waiting for our dealer for the past month who has been giving me the run around. Tired of giving him my business. I'm hoping to find replacements locally without having to order them and wait till the end of the week.

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'm sure you would be able to them through any Western dealer.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

You would probably have to take the bearings off & take them to a local bearing place, and then they can tell you if they can match it. They know bearings, but they don't know or care what type of bearing is on your particular spreader, chipper, wheel etc. etc. So they'll need to see it. Or you could order from any of the online plow parts suppliers & get it in a day or 2 for probably a cheaper price than the local Western dealer. Here's 1:
    http://www.centralparts.com/images/spreaders-tm-fsc2-wpf2-drive.gif

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

As long as we're talking about Western spreaders...

Anybody ever had any luck in getting the motor from a Pro Flow 1 repaired or rebuilt? I took a couple of them to the shop that does our starters and alternators and the guy look baffled. He made a call while I was there to one of his big suppliers and was told that they've bought one to try and "reverse engineer" it and don't currently have any way to help.

I can get one from the dealer for $425, or from a catalog for $410, but it'd be really nice to get one fixed for a hundred bucks or so...

5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

If you took one to a Tractor Supply Co. or similar store you could match them up,few companies produce there own pillow blocks etc. because they are cheaper to buy,i cannot say for sure with Western but my Air Flo uses standerd bearings and blocks that you can get anywere.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Digger242,
    I just recently went through this with my Pro Flo 2. Wanted to get it back online ASAP but couldn't find any local Western dealers with one in stock. So I ended up buying the closest match (Western doesn't have the motor specs posted in their literature, web site, or on the motor) that would fit from a McMaster Carr location near me. Found out later that the correct Western motor 1\3 HP but the one I bought for $158.00 only put out 1\6 HP at 12V, and 1\3 at 24V. So I couldn't use that one. It was a Friday, so I wasn't getting one delivered before Monday at the earliest, and we had salting event forecasted for Sunday night. So I took the motor apart my self to see what I'd find. It wasn't corroded as bad as other plow & other types of motors I've had apart in the past. Anyway, I cleaned it up real good (Electric Clean spray, wire brush & sand paper) sealed it better than it was before & replaced it. Been working fine ever since, with probably 10 hours of spreading (not total time out, but actual spreading). Knock on wood. Anyway, they aren't real super sophisticated & if you're comfortable doing that kind of work, go for it. You may find a wire loose, or simply major corrosion. You may have to replace the brushes if they seem worn, which you should be able to match at an electric motor shop locally. I should have taken pictures in retrospect, but if you need further details, let me know.

7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Thanks BRL for the suggestion, I ordered bearings and related materials from CPW this afternoon - should have by Thursday. They were really helpful. Nice people.

Thanks again for the tip.

8. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Thanks.

I got a call from the alternator shop this afternoon. I took two non-working motors to him, and he picked the better looking of the two and opened it up. He said essentially the same thing BRL said. He cleaned it up good and now it works. He sounded like he doesn't want to be bothered with the other one--he hasn't even looked at it--but I'm going to twist his arm to try and get it working too. That way I'll have a spare.

The catalog price I'd mentioned was J Thomas. $410 and change, I think. The service my guy did on this one today will be $60. :)