1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

after many years of being asked we are finally doing it

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hulk, May 27, 2015.

1. hulk

hulk Junior Member

I don't know the full details but My company is moving full time into snow removal for retail property. We have done some in the past, usually after the current company fails to do it.
    We are slowly working into it. We do expect it to take off once we get a few years under our belt.

Our sites are all strip malls and some bigger but mostly strip malls. Most sites we can store the snow on site but some we need to move off, this also depends on the amount of snow that year.

I have been asked what type of equipment to get, so far I have the following
    1 hd truck, don't know if we want a dump truck or get a dump trailer
    1 bobcat and one medium size front end loader
    or 2 bobcats
    We are also looking at converting some of our trucks to have a blade and a sand spreader. We will not use salt, in the lots them self.

we do have some equipment already
    various snow blowers, power broom and a few atv's with blades, and some 1/2 ton trucks.

After the few years we are going to address any future plans. Like snow melter, portable and/or in ground ones
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What state you in?
  3. hulk

hulk Junior Member

central Canada
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for sharing, I'll be able to sleep better tonight.
  5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Good luck to ya
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You sleep more in one night then your dad does all winter
  7. hulk

hulk Junior Member

I just have to decide what we are getting and finding out what our clients require, like spreading sand. Can't get a yes or no to this answer from them.

I did get a confirmation on equipment we are going to purchase this year
    2 skid steers (no idea what size yet)
    2 medium size front end loaders
    1 1 ton truck and a dump trailer.

I am not the one who negotiates the contract, I just have to make sure the job gets done. Even though I am an electrician by trade
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

What in the world are you going to use a dump trailer for in the snow removal business?
  9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

lol. I have seen guys hauling snow from sites with pickups & dump trailers loading them with skids. Very slow process.
  10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen it as well, but I guess the sarcasm was more along the lines of what I was aiming for. Nothing like trying to haul the snow away from a strip mall in a dump trailer. 4000 trips and 5 days later you might put a dent in the piles
  11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

X2. Don't waste your money. We hauled snow last year for a few banks and used 1 ton dumps.....never again. Our furthest haul was only a mile but it was painfully slow.
  12. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

2763 Mexicans with electric heat guns might be faster
  13. jonny72888

jonny72888 Member

I would get a small roll off truck with a few cans. drop them and have someone load it while you dump the other.