1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

After bid, manager tells me what they are paying now.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I bid a small auto parts store. I figured it would take 1 guy 45 minutes so I bid $90 plus $20 for walks and $10 per 25 lbs of salt. As soon as I give to the manager he tells me, you are definately the lowest ,the guy we have now gets $300. How in the world could that be right? I figure I'll be around 150 with salt and walks so I'm still half of what they are paying now. Has anyone else had this happen?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The only thing I'm wondering about is; Do you carry General Liability insurance or are you cutting costs in that area? Otherwise, don't worry about it. You got what you wanted. Why should you care what the other guy got? That's why he doesn't have it anymore.
  3. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

You're salt's a little cheap, but otherwise sounds fine. Don't worry about it.
    Although, you may want to find out who the other plower was & follow them around. LOL

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

are you thinking per push and maybe the owner paid by the storm before

so the other contracter was planning on going back or clearing the roads before the snow stopped
  5. rainair

rainair Senior Member

your low on the salt price [thats in my area of Ohio price] we go with $25.95 per 50lb or .60c per lb
  6. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

your not low there just higher happened to me 3 times this year already. as long as your not lowballing dont worry some guys take advantage of there customers a little
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Thanks, I'm not trying to lowball anyone. I have liab. ins and turn in all income ,completely legit. It just bugged me a little that I was so much under the guy doing it now. I thought I might be missing something.
  8. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Stuff happens...that's when you loose the most money when you see the other guys bid you beat out...dont feel bad I laugh at the state contracts.... all the time in the paper some one will be a quarter million lower then the other guy on a construction job...that'll make ya sick and keep you up nights. If you're making money run to the bank with it and dont look back.
  9. irocz600hp

irocz600hp Member

smitty what parts store was it i have some partes store in my area where they pay big and others that pay nothing
  10. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

I think a lot of customers just don't really know what they are talking about. I've dealt with too many of them and realize how often they are wrong about what WE do...how can we really rely on them when it comes to giving information on what OTHERS do?

In your case, there are a hundred different variables that might explain the difference. The customer may not understand that...

Guaranteed to be first job plowed?
    Price included salt?
    Price included return visits to clean up?
    Price for one big storm and that price sticks out in the customers mind?
    Price was for the month?
    Etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line is, the market decides the price in the long run. If you gouge your customers, you'll be out of business. If you don't charge enough, you'll be out of business. But supply and demand will say that prices will all be in the same ballpark. Some may charge more for salt, while others make their money in plowing, etc...but everybody gets theirs somehow.