1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Affordable minibar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 03mossy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

i am looking for and afordable mini bar for my 04chevy, now by afordable i don't mean cheap. i learned along time ago you get what you pay for. i would like a strobe over a rotator. last year i had a cheap plug in rotator that i picked up at a truck stop and almost got backed into countless times. this year i want to be seen!!! i have looked at the whelen guardian permanint mount and found a strobe version for 140 and the rotator for 85, are this a good lights? would this rotator be as bright as the strobe? any suggestions would be appreciated on these or other lights as well i would like to stay under 150 if possible. thanks
  2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Ecco sells some pretty nice ones, and I know tractor supply sell a targtec magnetic mini light bar for like 70-80 bucks, they only sell them this time of year.
  3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Look at Strobes-n-More for a Nova Micro Bar 360. It is a dual stobe mini bar. I bought the mag mount for $159. It works very well. Has selectable flash patterns. Also has a black top on the outer lens that really stops washout during the day.

I have used it during the day and evening and find it to be very effective. Strobe-n-More also gave quick service. I have a thread here about it but do not know how to post a link.

It is on the first page though.Just one other comment from someone else who likes it too.
  4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

The Whelen Guardian G7 is a nice strobe mini bar for about $150.
  5. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

can you adjust the rotating speed on the whelen guardian rotator?
  6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I just bought a whelen guardian dual strobe light bar from one of the guys here on plowsite. Havnt used it yet but anything Whelen makes is great.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

8. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

I'm a Ebay shopper. I've found very good deals on light bars, and parts for light bars, both mini and fullsize.
  9. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Galls has a new whalen LED for $299.00 I think it looks like a good deal I think it was 4 or 6 heads mag mount
  10. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

anybody have a video of the guardian, either strobe of rotator?
  11. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Go to www.awdirect.com for videos. Also, if you want a cheap, bright rotator that has a very high speed check out the Code 3 "420".
  12. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

The Whelen Responder CON3 that is sold on Galls for $299 is a great light and is very bright however Galls pricing is a bit steep. You can buy the same light for $240. IMO it is the best mini-LED lightbar out there for the price.
  13. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

more questions, what type of mount. i like the idea of a permanent mount cause i don't want a wire hanging around, but what if i don't like the light after a season? can you turn a magnetic mount into a permanant mount? do i have to worry about amp draw with a rotator or strobe(mainly looking at the whelen guardian line). ive looked at the led lights but a little more than i want to spend with owning a new company and having a second little girl due in janurary.
  14. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

To answer some of these questions, Yes, you can take a magnetic mount guardian and turn it into a permanant mount. Just order the lightbar as a permant mount and then order the magnet kit for it. Some places like 32PSP do it for you, by taking a permant mount bar and adding the magnets, but in this case it would appear the magnets bolt on in the same holes used to permant mount it. Here is the install PDF for the strobe Guardian bar:

Amp draw shouldn't be a problem, the strobe bar only draws less than 7.5 amps, which is what the fuse is. Especially if the truck is running, which I imagine it would be while plowing.
  15. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Please tell me you are kidding. A video of a low end, cheap mini bar? We arent talking an LED set up here, we are talking your basic strobe or rotator. What do you want to look at? The one flash pattern that it has that blinks amber?
  17. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

Since you asked, you shall receive, it is of the Whelen Gaurdian 2 Halogen model:

Video is embedded in page, scroll down and click to watch, not much to see, but you get the point.
  18. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

19. 03mossy

03mossy Junior Member

no sorry i wasn't kidding. i unlike you am not an expert and do not have experiance with any warning lights, i just wanted to see how bright they are and the speed of rotation. and sorry this thread is a joke to you cause i didn't ask about an expensive led. but if you notice the title of the tread is "afordable minibar", to me that means under 150. thanks dodgeguy for finding that video thats what i was looking for.
  20. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

On a budget I would opt for a halogen rotating bar over a strobe. Strobes get washed out during the day more than a halogen light. Granted most of our plowing is at night but there are times when we are out during the day.

A Code 3 420 is the a great 2 rotator mini lightbar. They are about $110 and are effective.