1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Affiliated Grounds Maint. Corp

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TAZPUSHER, Mar 31, 2010.

1. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Anyboby heard of or worked for Affilated Grounds Maintenance Group,Inc out of Erie Pa?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I do a Target for them, got it last fall. Thus far good guys to work for. When I finally got around to invoicing them for the irrigation shut down, I was paid in a week (or there about), I was suprised.

3. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

I am working with them through my sima mentor, it is his wifes co, I am new to bidding and working with them, will let you know how it goes. I have heard good things soo far, keeping my fingers crossed.

4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

And I would imagine he has nothing to do with it because his wife runs the whole thing? Sounds like he's working the women and minority owned business angle. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em! At least they are treating their subs alright.

5. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

exactly, you nailed it on the head

6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Crystal Arlington is the President and owner of Affiliated Grounds Maintenance Group Inc. She is totally hands on everyday and works harder on her business than any other person I know and the only woman to hold dual-certifications (CSP and CLT) in the North America. Crystal started plowing snow with her dad when she was just 10 years old.
    When you come to the SIMA Symposium this summer be sure to stop by and ask Crystal about AGMG.

Her husband Rich is the Business Manager and I am the Business Development Director.

We are always looking for great vendor partners to join our team.

Regards,

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

How much of your work does AGMG actually do "in house", or do you specialize in brokering out the work you get?

If brokering it out, what quality control measures do you have in place?

8. Mike Nelson

Great Question,

We don't "Broker" it out. We have vendor partner (contractors) that work with us throughout the country.

Our Account Managers over see the properties and vendor partners to make sure the Scope of Work is being followed.

Regards,

Mike Nelson CSP

9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Mike,

I stand corrected on the point that it is in the wife's name purely for minority advantages, though we both know it does help.

It sounds like you may be running a good operation based on the two posters who've worked with you, but I am still having trouble distinguishing between "Service Brokers" and those with "Vendor Partners". I mean, it sounds like wordplay.

Can you teel us more about your business model and how it differs from say USM?

Thanks.

10. Mike Nelson

The biggest difference is that the ownership/managment staff of AGMG has over 70 years collectively of "hands on " experience for the services that our company provides.

We provide exterior maintenance services on a national level to our customers.

If you would like more information about AGMG, please visit our website www.agmgus.com and/or stop by our booth at this years SIMA Symposium.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Vendor Partner....Isnt that just a Fancy way of saying brokering it out or Sub- contracting...Isnt a Vendor Partner just a Sub-Contractor....

12. Matson Snow

Basically you are doing the same thing as a USM or Symboit or Dentco etc....Just trying to shine up the Image of a National Service Provider....

13. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

What is CSP and CLT???

14. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Certified Snow Professional and Certified Landscape Technician

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still trying to figure these guys out. I get emails every other day to bid on. I don't think it's possible for them to do this. It's almost like they are fishing the big companies by asking us to go bid on them and they in turn try and bid it out to them.See where I'm going with this?

16. Matson Snow

Maybee this Mike Nelson can help you out..He seems to be in the Know....Looks to me like they are trying to be a National service provider.....:eek:

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For ex. they asked for bids on these 1st Niagara banks in a couple of different states. But i got an email saying they were awarded only 5 banks in Erie PA .their home turf. I mean they send out lists of hundreds of places to be bid on. So I don't know if they are trying to get us to bid stuff then take it as a package and try to sel it to the owners.Not the other way around where companies are contacting them for bids.

18. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Subscribing just to put my opinion out there, 2 things really strike me as different about these guys, compared to the other American Nationals out there. 1) they sound like they have a manager/supervisor in every area they service, meaning that if there are problems you can meet a human being on site to look things over 2) they are looking for the quotes on properties, not dictating to the contractors what well be paid.

i work with 2 national management companies that operate like this, and have found them extremely easy to deal with, we are paid within 2 weeks of bills submitted, they want to work with the contractors when dealing with issues (not going to automatically side with the store/buisness). When you quote them a price, they don't go telling me what i should be charging, and i am pretty sure that i am not the lowest priced guy around, but my efforts with their local management, and great service provided them, has them "selling" my higher prices to their clients, instead of always digging for a deal. This is all JMO and my own experiences, but these guys sound like what a management company should be.

19. Mike Nelson

More great questions.

We do not dictate the pricing to the vendor partners, that is why we send out the RFP's to them and ask for their pricing.

We are not the only company bidding on these RFP's, that is why sometimes we are only awarded certain cities, regions, or states.

To answer the question are we just fishing for prices? No, we are actually sending out real RFP's that our company is asked to give pricing on. We all have been in this business and involved with SIMA for many years. I have been on Plowsite since the beginning. We have heard all of the complaints about the "Big" national companies and we are trying to make a difference in this industry.

Just ask our vendor partners how we "Score". Testimony and references are available.
    This is why I am on this thread to answer any questions that you all may have. And yes we do have "REAL" people (Account Managers) that actually interact with the vendor partners, the client's and makes site visits.

I am available to talk via cell or email anytime. Well almost anytime, my wife gets a little angry when the phone rings after 11pm, I leave it on her side of the bed. LOL

mj@agmgus.com
    888-898-4690 cell