1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Afew questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Kroozin Kooler, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Kroozin Kooler

Kroozin Kooler Junior Member

I am getting my 2010 Tundra set up for plowing this year I have never done this commercially before but have ran a plow truck at my parking lot before quite a bit. I need to get a light bar & my in-laws have said they will buy it for my birthday (I am really hard to buy presents for because when I want something I usually go get it) I am wondering do I want a permanent or magnetic, led or halogen, low profile or regular anybody have any experience with light bars that wants to offer some advice?

I plan on putting a switch on the dash to run it off of. I like a nice clean look. I am leaning toward a permanent mount & drilling a hole in my roof just to hide the wires.

Secondly: Does anybody use the back up cameras that mount to the license plate frame? I have thought about buying one because the Tundra is kind of tall in the back & I may have a giant apartment complex to plow this year.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I hardly ever use a light and if I do I have a magnet beacon (lights seem to draw people to come see whats going on)

Run about 600lbs of weight in the bed and that will drop the high attitude of the truck.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

permanent mount, low pro, led. 20+ flash patterns and should last a life time. we've sold a ton of the sound off brand and we all love them.
  4. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I still run my 15 dollar magnetic light i bought at bennys and i think it works just as good as a $1500 setup. You dont need to light the whole town up for people to get the hint that they should stay clear of you:dizzy: jmo
  5. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

gotta agree with mansf, if all you want for is to plow.
  6. Kroozin Kooler

Kroozin Kooler Junior Member

I ended up going into a safety shop my brother the fireman told me to check out. I was just there to look but ended up buying a Sho-Me mini, low profile, led. I drilled a hole in the roof of my 2010 tundra to run the wire and I am using the magnetic mounts. I figure if I ever want to remove it I can cut the wire & put a 4 flat trailer harness on it then I can plug it in & unplug it for removal.

I am laying off the back up camera for now because if I get this apartment complex they require it to be salted and the spreader will be in the way of the camera anyways. Which brings me to my next question What kind of salt spreader and what size do people around the site use? I think I want one that is easily removable, I live in Northern IL and we get snow then can go weeks without snow so the plow & spreader would come off.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

read the "ice control" forum for alot of info on tailgate spreaders.
    You will want to keep your sand/salt dry all winter, so storage is a major concern
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

keeping your salt good is the trick. any spreader will do if you use good salt! as far as the camera goes its wireless. screw it to a magnet and use it where ever. also use it when you need it. toss it on the seat u use for an office and stick it when you want it.

i am partial to my brand of course, but there is a ton of good stuff on the market.
  9. snowjim88

snowjim88 Junior Member
    from CT

In the future if you are looking for a permanent mount but do not want to drill holes in your truck you should consider the ACARI drill free roof top mounting platform. The platform attaches through the cab brake light hole, and you can mount your light bar, back up camera, gps, radio antenna, etc. directly to the platform. It is more of a permanent solution without having to drill holes or worry about a magnetic light slipping, scratching, or rusting.

Check out their website, especially the installation video which shows exactly how it attaches. Hope this helps!