1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advise on skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bakerproperty, Oct 17, 2013.

1. bakerproperty

bakerproperty Junior Member

we are looking to buy a skid steer and was wanting peoples advise on witch one is better is tracks or tires for snow removal...

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

It can go either way but if look at youtude videos you will see more tire skids then tracks

Guys around here say tires are better vs the tracks but on tracks you need the right tracks for the snow.

I have rubber tracks OTT kind I'm going take them off and run tires only. Since mine will be running down the roads in part of my town. If I had one job for it, I would leave the tracks on but I don't. From my shop to first jobs is a mile clean 4 lots then travel another mile to a complex where it will be there 2-3 hrs mine is a 2 speed skid.

3. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Tires. Tires. Tires. Tracks slide on ice and uneven pavement. Tracks are good if you spend the money on the Snow traction tracks. Those cost a fortune and alot of time to install. Go with tires. New Holland or Bobcat.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a Cat with tracks that does great in the snow. From what I've researched Cat tracks are the only original tracks that do well in the snow and ice for some reason. Why that is I don't know but if you want I'll sell you mine. Pm me if you're interested

5. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Cat and terex both do good in the snow terex is the old avs machines and the tracks and undercarriage r similar to cat I think

6. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

We test a lot of our plows with Skid steers and I would tend to agree with most of the people here that tires tend to fair better but boy that Kubota SVL90 is a beast. They are pricey but I saw one of those with a 7-12 expandable blade and it was impressive.

7. Stroke_this

Stroke_this Member
    from Tughill

Avs made the track system for cat. It is the only track system that is of a suspension type. This is why it does better pushing snow then other rigid type track machines. However the undercarriage is designed for a much lighter machine and tends to wear out very quickly and is very costly to replace

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I would say tires over tracks as I own a track machine.... This year I'm going to attempt to stud the tracks since mine have seen better days. I would love to try the polar tracks but man are they expensive.....

9. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Not trying to jack your thread but I have also been thinking about getting a skiddy. But I know very little about them for what's good what's bad. So I was wondering if you could help me out, let me know what models are good, what are some commen problems, what are considered high hours, what to stay away from and what not. It seems like bobcat, case, Deere and new holland are the most commen, what are some good reliable models from those companies? It seems like To me the 4000 hour mark is like the 100k miles mark on a car, is that about right? What should I really look at and pay attention to when going to go look at them? Sorry for all the questions and thank you for your help.

10. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

4000 is alot on a skid steer. It also depends what it was used for and how well it was taken care of. If the pins and such were never replaced on the arms and bucket plate, youre going to have alot of slack. My 98 NH only has 1550 hours and it needs some TLC.

11. Antlerart06

I have a Gehl I bought new in 91 and it has about 3k on it now.
    Tilt rams been replace back 1500-2000 and they could be changed again
    Lift rams are good shape but need rebuild them they have slow leaks and only other thing I had to do to it was rebuilding the bucket 2 times.
    My little Gehl thought it was a big skid sometimes. Big one is nice went from a 10 cubic ft bucket to a 21 cubic foot bucket and 30 more horses

Since I bought Gehl this year My old one don't get used as much on heavy work.

12. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

^^^^ I was wondering about Gehls, I have seen them pop up every now and then, but I know nothing about them and they seem not to be all that popular, same as Mustangs. Seems like you had good luck with it. Anything you really like about? Anything you really dislike about it? Is Gehl their own company? Or are they made by someone.

How hard is it to replace the pins? How do you check them?

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Gehl, mustang and takeuchi are all the same machine with different paint and a few subtle differences. We have a couple of gehls at work and I keep hoping they'll blow up as they are the worst skid steers I've ever run. Stick with the bigger manufacturers like Cat, New Holland, John Deere, etc

14. Antlerart06

Pins are easy to replace. Never had a dislike about them
    My new one has hydro glide.

Gehl is a big manufacture Gehl has the biggest Skidsteer on the market. Takeuchis makes the track Gehls only Gehl makes the Mustang and they are a cheaper line of Gehl
    I don't know what model and controls you are talking about But my 2 Gehls are so easy to run. One is a T stick and my new one is joystick

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The Gehl CTL and Mustang MTL line are Takeuchi track machines in different paint. The newer Gehl and Mustang RT line of track loaders are Gehl built in house and they suck plain and simple. We have one at the farm and it's garbage.

We also had a Gehl V400 skid loader, it too was a pile of crap. It was traded off on a Case 321E mini wheel loader. The older Gehl CTL 60 (Tak TL130 painted yellow) was great as was the 7810 we had at the same time before both were traded off for the RT210 and the V400.

The new Gehl's now that Manitou has bought them are really starting to bring the suck. We will be switching to Case skid steers from now on after many various Gehl's. Several other farms I have spoken to while making hay deliveries that have long time and repeated Gehl owners will also be jumping ship to Bobcat or Case when they need a new machine.

16. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Got it, I will stay away from those. So now what are some good models from bobcat, new Holland, case, and deere? I have read that a decent amount of deeres have electrical problems, any truth to that and know what models they are?

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

As far as Bobcats, from my experience and talking with others it's hard to go wrong with a S185 or an S250. I've never really ran much for the other size machines. Before I bought my Takeuchi I considered an S250 and decided I wanted tracks over wheels. I'd have no problem buying an S250 though.

Case. If you want an older machine you will do no better then an 1845C. Hands down one of the most reliable, well built machines ever made. The parking brake being a pin that goes through a hole works but is easily broken. Aside from various little things like that the 1845C is a very tough machine.
    I don't have much experience with the XT or 4XX series but my understanding is that a 440 is tough to beat. A friend just bought a used 445 with about 1300hrs on it and seems quite happy with it.

I don't know much about the NH machines but I've never really heard much bad about the older L/LS 170/180 machines. They do have a problem with a seal on some of the drive motors going out and leaking hydraulic oil into the bell housing. Also the inside of the cabs have a lot of hydraulic noise, especially in 2spd.

Deere skid steers... I've only ran a few and never liked a single one of them.

18. Stroke_this

Stroke_this Member
    from Tughill

I just bought my tracked tack tl240 and love it its absolute tank. As far as gehl we have 4 at work and they take a beating like no other but I believe they are more of a throw away machine. Steer clear of anything that says jcb or Volvo on the side I have 6 new ones at work and they are nickel and diming me to death not to mention the down time. Take a close look at the bobcats some of them the motors are in perpendicular and they are a pain to work on.

19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What model JCB's do you have? A friends business has 3, 260 Eco's and they love them. The JCB's replaced Bobcat S185's. Their main use is a hi-flow brush mower, not dirt work.

20. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Can you enclose a skid and add heat? All the skids that are in my price range are with out cabs and heat.