1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advise on plowing with single axle dump truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ApolloLC, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ApolloLC

ApolloLC Junior Member

I am currently in the market for a single axle dump truck and have narrowed it down to two trucks. One is a Freightliner FL70 with an auto and the other a Peterbilt 330 with an 8 speed manual. These trucks will be used to salt and plow subdivision roads in the winter and in the summer to pull a 20 ton tag trailer/move dirt and gravel.

I know a auto would be best for plowing but 90% of the use of this truck will be in the summer pulling equipment and moving dirt where I feel a manual would be better. My question to those who have plowed snow with a truck this size is plowing with a manual going to be a huge headache or should I stick with an auto?

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What engines in them will be a factor. Air or juice brakes. The auto is nicer for plowing. More power with the stick. I'm guessing the freight liner has a Cummins 5.9. The Pete has a C7 cat?

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I never owned a auto, My single axles are 13sp and 10sp. The 8LL would be fine, I just start out in a higher gear so you get a better running start before changing gears. I have not heard much bad about the auto's tho.

4. ApolloLC

ApolloLC Junior Member

Both are air brake trucks. 35K GVW. And you would be correct the Fl70 has a 300Hp cummins with an allison and the 330 has a 230hp cat 3126.

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Good size single axles, Should be able to haul 10 tons of material. I bet the Fl70 is cheaper than the Pete? Randell ave would know better than me. I think the cummins would be cheaper to maintain.

6. ApolloLC

ApolloLC Junior Member

They are asking $8000 more for the Pete. But the Pete only has 50k miles and is a really nice looking truck, the Fl70 is closer to 100k. I hear some bad things about the Cat 3126 engine tho

7. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Are these trucks the same year? Do they have the same size box, Auto tarp etc. $8000.K more is quite a spread for comparable trucks. I'm sure the Pete was more new.

8. ApolloLC

ApolloLC Junior Member

The fl70 is a 2001 with 80,000 miles. Manual tarp, 10' stainless box and stainless spreader. With a municipal plow. 300 Hp cummins with allison auto

The Pete is 2000 with 50,000 miles. Manual tarp, 10.5' steel box, stainless spreader and western heavy weight plow. 230 Hp Cat 3126 with 8 speed manual

Both trucks are in "good" condition. Except the plow on the Pete needs to be sandblasted and painted.

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Dump box salter combo or insert, You sure thats not a aluminum box?

10. ApolloLC

ApolloLC Junior Member

Dump box salter combo. And yes it it most likely aluminum not stainless now that you mention it.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

JMO I think the FL will fit your over all needs best $8000k less. I would want the aluminum box with the combination. The plow don't need reconditioning either. I know the Pete is a better looking truck that don't count much at the end of the day. What the truck earns you is what counts. Plus your gut feeling is not happy with the Cat.

12. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Chrome don't pay the bills....If a few of these young bucks on here would realize that they would be much better off....Isnt that right Fred....:drinkup:

FredG likes this.
  13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

100%.......................:drinkup:

14. Randall Ave

On break.f from yard work. What Cummins is in it. 300 HP is it an 8.3? That 3126 will piss all over that 5.9. I know a lot of people with 3126 cats, no problems.

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

? Piss all over it how, Reliability, performance, repairs etc. That spread in HP is not noticeable? Is not the 5.9 a pickup diesel?

16. Randall Ave

Yes, same engine, fueled a little different. Remember there's no substitute for cubic inches. I have customer s with them in Ford F800s, and fl70s.

17. Randall Ave

I'm in a GMC with a 3126 right now.

18. Randall Ave

OK, more time now. If I had complete vin of the fl70, I could run it and see what engine it has. The 5.9 I the larger truck is just low on power, in my opinion. They vibrate bad at idle, leak a lot up front. Otherwise not to bad. The 3126 runs on the same platform as a international dt466. Fires injectors on high oil pressure. Not to many problems. He wants to see them both start when cold. If the cat smokes slot, it's tired. The cummins will run rough till it gets a little heat, that's normal, but if it's smoking heavily, and won't rev up good, it's also getting weak.

FredG likes this.
  19. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

We have just about every engine in our muni trucks. Have a Ford with the 5.9, was driving one with the 8.3 Cummings today. They all move material and make money. Don't get caught up on the name brand. Pete isn't paying your note.

FredG likes this.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I had a 3126 in my F750. It could have used a bit more on the low end, but overall it was a very reliable engine.

But, since it was a Ford, the truck rusted away from the engine\transmission.