1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advise needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by southernpride, Feb 21, 2011.

1. southernpride

southernpride Junior Member

i have a customer that i plow and salt and this guy is a pain he thinks hes the only customer out there.
    now we only have a verbal agreement and today we had alot of snow so i had another guy plow his lot and when he got there it was done and i had no idea untill i went to salt and the customer came out cusen at me a said cause i didnt show up that he had to pay someone else 75.00 to plow his lot now mind u i only charge him 25.00 to plow,and he doesnt open till 9am and my guy was there at 8 30 and since he paid someone else he is going to deduct that 75.00 from his outstanding bill, so what would u guys do here?......im thinken plow his door in
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

What would I do? Learn my lesson about not having a contract and ditch this SOB
  3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Contracts are not worth the paper their written on has been said throughout the ages.

It will cost you more in legal fees to sue him and another mess in legal fees if you fail to show up and uphold your end because this guy sounds as he would sue you.

I would try telling this customer that being that he brought in a new guy and has witheld payment that he broke the contract, wish him luck with the new guy.
  4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

seeing as its only a 25$ account i really wouldnt worry about it that much. I understand that most people if they are hired in a pinch will raise the price, but for him to triple your price, tells me you may be a little low on that. usually we will add like 75-100% of an esitmated price if its a rush item, so meaning 45-50 for that lot, which is probably aroudn where it should be no matter what.

But just take the loss and walk away. especially if he isnt going to sign on an agreement and has an outstanding balance.
  5. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

If he shorts you on his payment, I would give him $75.00 worth of plowing back in return in the form of a berm about 8 feet high across his entrance way. While I would love to do that, I would really just walk away. Are you sure that you are not too cheap at $25.00 for a commercial lot?
  6. southernpride

southernpride Junior Member

i was higher last year but guys a r low balling like crazy so i agreed to do it for the lower bid, and i still got the shaft in the long run.this is the third acount i almost lost.
  7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

someting don't jive here.....
  8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Hmmm, first off tell him to pound salt. If he hired someone else than that is his problem and his financial obligation. If he chooses not to pay then just walk away and take it as a lesson learned. As far as plowing him in, that is up to you.
  9. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

$ 25 dollars to plow a commercial lot???? And you dropped your price from before? Now he wants to charge YOU for something HE decided to pay for? This guy is running YOUR business. What I would do is tell him you want what is owed to you and you're done. Right at that very point of that conversation. Done.
  10. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I have just one customer that has stiffed me.I plow the drives on both side of her.I make sure I leave a ton of snow at the end of the one customer 's drive so that the town plow shoves it all into her drive.The other drive I snowblow into her drive while its still snowing so that the snow coming down covers up my marks.It packs it in like cement.And I will usually try and back into her drive a bit to pack it even more.It all looks innocent from a normal perspective unless you actually know whats going on.I am having more fun screwing with her so I do not even want the money now.
  11. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

Southern..interesting to see you in snow work now too..welcome to PS

funny how he "FOUND" someone to do the lot just before your guy showed up. If you are going to deal with this guy tell him you'll take 0 off his balance for your alleged no show. It's HIS problem he paid over what you agreed to so he can eat his 75 with biscuits and gravy. He voided your contract the second the other guy dropped the plow. Now he is out of the circle of trust and you should insist that he pay before each time you plow.
    NEXT time just get something on paper just like for cutting grass...As for making you feel good plow him in and pour a bunch of water on the pile.... then, take that chinese trimmer and hack his hedge

BUT according to my wife I can be a real a$$hle most/all of the time
  12. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

This must be a few minute job to be only charging $25. When you figure truck gas to get there, and plow, wear and tear/depriciation on truck and plow your houly rate might be close to $3/hr. Sounds loike he's violatin the law of that there minimal wage. Don't do anything stupid or your goin to pay more to this cheapskate.
  13. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

You mean like show up in the middle of the night with a load of steaming manure to turn solid by morning?
  14. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

even better...give sh$t... get sh$t
  15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

That Good sh|?t don't waste it on him.
  16. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

$25.00 for a lot?

Man, most of the driveways around here I'd charge more for. And yes, there's lowballers here, as well. People who'll plow for a cup of coffee, or a six pack of beer, or a pack of smokes. Lowballers don't bother me, at all. If anyone wants some lowballer plowing their lot or driveway, and then their one truck s*its the bed in the middle of the winter, and then they need to call a professional to finish for the rest of the season, that's their problem.

I agree you have a problem, but at $25.00 to do a lot? That word, lowballer, doesn't sound too far fetched from what you're doing. Especially since the other guy did it for $75.00.

Do everything on paper. Set-up a contract. Next year, if you're doing his lot, set up a contract for the season. On paper. Therefore, if he decides to hire another guy to plow, for no reason, then you'll still get paid, even if it wasn't you who did the plowing.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011