1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rebel4life, Jun 20, 2007.

1. rebel4life

rebel4life Junior Member
    from ohio

This is mike in cleveland, ohio and i am trying to figure out which is the best pickup is good for plowing.. I plowed 13 years for the city of cleveland and figured i would branch out on my own...It would mostly be used for driveways my first year.......thanks
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

You really can plow with about anything but for a pick up I would say any 3/4 ton or 1 ton 4X4 truck and your good to go ;)
  3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

For driveways only, I'd go with something smaller - even half ton with short bed and regular cab. Cleveland doesn't get that much snow other than the east side and snow belt area that you'd need something bigger. Driveways are all about manuverability - bang bang next...........

Commercial - different story, bigger the better, heavier the better..........
  4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Grassbusters. Mike you said "It would mostly be used for driveways my first year". You may do some Commercial this year or down the road. A 3/4 or 1 ton would be good. I am looking for the same thing. Good luck
  5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I say find yourself a 03--05 chevy with all wheel steer....they are 3/4 ton and turn on a time...that with a vplow....you can do any drive....
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree,
    Get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Do not get anything smaller even if you think you will only be doing residential your first year, what about the years to come?......

You need a truck that you will NOT out grow your first month.

Sure there some res drives that something smaller would work better but the reality is there are more that require a 3/4 OR 1 ton truck.

Then as you get more commercial lots you will have a truck that can handle the job.

Some plow with 1/2 tons, they will tell you they plow with NO PROUBLEMS,
    When you here this do a search, they all have problems!!
    Get more truck that you need...... So you can operate inside it's limits not pushing it's limits every time you go plowing.

As far as witch make of truck is better than the other. Get one from the big 3.
    Dodge, chev, ford. I prefer Dodge trucks. Any truck with a solid front axle.
    Stay away from trucks with gimmicks like quadra steer etc,etc there guaranteed trouble down the road.
  7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I've got a std cab, 4 cylinder Toyota-- 5 speed with a light duty fisher plow--6'8".

In the past I've used Ford Rangers, a 3/4 ton chevy,, International scouts and a 3/4 ton Ford. They all plow well but technique is more important with the lighter trucks----you're not gonna bang curbs all the time and last forever.

My smallest drive is about 12' wide and 20' deep

My largest drive is about 12' wide and about 800' long with 2 parking areas.

If you never plowed for yourself, get a vehicle that will suit all your purposes. For plowing, more weight is always better. For drives, backdragging can be important but certainly being able to turn in a short distance is critical.

In short, you don't need a lot of beef if you plow with the storm every few inches. If you let it pile up then you need the bulldozer.

A lot of guys buy a 1 ton truck, spend a ton on gas and only plow 2 or 3 storms...you have to consider your investment--especially if you're just starting. A lot of people used to just use a jeep cj and they work great on driveways---don't try a parking lot with it.

Will this be a plow rig only or are you using it to go to the grocery store??

Before you plunk down a lot of cash for something you're gonna use for 8-10 hrs per storm (probably 3-4 storms/yr), consider all the issues including insurance, diesel or gas, family issues, and whether or not you're going into parking lots. If you can't predict what you will be doing go for a mid sized truck (1/2--3/4 ton) and consider buying a used truck that never plowed. Put the plow on it yourself. Personally, from what you said, I dont think you want a one ton and frankly dont see how you can justify that without having business lined up already.

Many times, plowing alone without other use for the vehicle (such as landscaping) is a losing proposition....you're not going to make >$30K in revenue plowing and considering truck payment, plow, insurance, gas at $3/gallon and taxes if you pay them, you're gonna gross < $4-5K your first year at best.

Good luck but don't get suckered into making a large investment unless you have a reasonable path for success---every spring there are a ton of used plow trucks for sale that some guy thought he'd make a killing with the winter before. Not trying to discourage you--go for it, but do it with your eyes wide open.
  8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Alot of good info here. I plowed with a 1/2 ton. I did commercial and drives. This year i am looking at the 3/4 tons with a bigger plow. I agree with Kramer, go with the used truck and used plow thats what i did. For under $10,000 you can get your self a pretty good plow truck. Hey do you want to buy mine? It is a nice truck. Great plowing, nothing wrong with it. I'll give you a good deal. :D Just kidding