1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JEFF P, Jun 22, 2006.

1. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Looking at a 2004 ford 150 4.6 lt. cab and a half 4 x 4 auto with 70,000 km . Just wondering if these trucks are good for plowing and what pros and cons with these trucks . Please reply

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can plow with 1/2 tons and a lot of people do. It needs to have the plow prep or towing package so a plow can be added. I do hope it's a 5.4 engine too. The problem is that the truck is a light duty so a light plow needs to be used. You will have more breakage of parts and components with a F150 then a F250 / 350. I was just in your City Sunday and Monday. I like the signs on the hill leading down to the falls:
    " Unusual Icing Conditions When Below 0 Celsius".

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like it is the 4.6? I would pass on this one for sure.

4. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Good Plow Truck ?

So what is a good truck for plowing ? Something around $18,000 can plus a plow . Out here a 3 - 4 year old plow goes for about $ 3,000 . plus instalation

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would look for a mid to late 90's Chevy or GMC 2500 or Ford F250 regulare cab longbed. Then add the plow. That should keep you at about where you want to be. Gotta remember we are talking about Canandiain money here.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would emphasize buy a truck without a plow and never had one on it.
    A used plow truck just has too many things that can be wrong with it.
    Try to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton if you can afford it. With a V8 Auto.
    They are rarer then 1/2 tons but I feel they are worth the extra money and search time.
    We had a 1/2 ton at one point and they just don't hold up to the punishment without breakages and repairs.
    Like: popped shocks, quick wear on ball joints,tie rod ends,brakes, sway bar bushings. But, My Dad also tends to beat his trucks up, so that may just be the driver caused the breakage.