1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by MikeHD, Oct 31, 2011.

1. MikeHD

MikeHD Junior Member
    from ct

Ok, Complete newbie seeking advice here. Someone is giving me an 8' plow for FREE. I'm taking it even if it winds up being scrap metal. I don't know what make it is or what it came off of yet. I am not trying to goin into business, just tired of shoveling out relatives and in-laws. Would my 03 silverado 1500HD (no plow pkge) even be able to handle an 8'? I have an optima yellow top battery (620 CCA?), is it still necessary to run dual batteries? I've looked around here a bit and would definatly invest in a set of timbrens and snow tires. Would it even be worth it to get all the parts i need? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I run a couple of 1500HD's.

9 ft plow, plus wings on one,
    Boss steel vblade on the other.

Good tires and counter balance, stock trucks.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A 1500HD will handle an 8' plow no problem. Timbrens will be nice and dual batteries are a big help depending on how much plowing you will be doing. Post pictures of the plow when you get it.

4. fast*st

fast*st Junior Member

Is it just the blade & a frame or the whole setup? Truck should be fine as it sits if you're just doing a couple driveways, remember to take the plow off when not using it.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do you happen to know what truck it came off of?

I would wait for any suspension improvements until you have plow in hand. It could be an old plow from the 80's in which case no it would not fit. Or at least involve a ton of fab work.
    I use to have an 88 GMC with Western Pro on it. That plow would in no way fit my 04 now.

Hope for the best plan for the worse.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I just run a single standard battery in mine, and they are worked long night commercials with no problems.

7. MikeHD

MikeHD Junior Member
    from ct

Thanks for all the replies! ill post some pics whe i get it. I have no idea what it came off of, but i really hope its a whole setup and not just a blade. I'm not going to do anything until i actually get the plow. I do plan on adding timbrens. I may hold off on adding a second battery until I have the funds and see how it does with a single battery first. Hopefully everything will work out. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Again thanks for the input!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 1500HD will be a fine truck, as for batteries, many guys use one high amp hour battery (I'm one) with no issues and do a lot more then a couple driveways. Find out what plow is and includes before you start spending money could be much more expensive then you think. If you have to buy mount, wiring, hydraulic power head and lights you could be spending at least a grand if you can find everything used, better than double that for new.