1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JFJ212, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JFJ212

JFJ212 Junior Member

Advice Pleas on truck used to plow residential driveways....No Salt 15-20 Accounts

99-01 Ram1500 Lifted 5" W/ 32" tires(tall and skinny tire)

I need advice would like to purchase a ruck of this kind for next year but iffy about the lift and all.... I wouldn't mind dropping the mount if I had to, but don't want to put too much strain on the front suspension....

OR OR OR

Same ruck W/3" BodyLift and 2"Suspension Lift

Less desired but still and option

OR OR OR..............i know last one

Same truck Lifted 5" W/ 32" tires Plus Springs fron 3/4 Dodge

Reason For Delima...

Kinda money...Im not plowing to get rich quick or to lowball people for accounts....This nest season will be my first season and I don't hav to money to buy a nice enough daily driver and a plowtruck, plus I dont wanna drive 2...So Im trying to buy a daily driver that could double as a plowtruck,, plow will be taken off when not in use...I will be using mostly all profits towards my next truck which will be a 3/4 and the 1/2 will be sold or kept as back up...

Wheeww long post...Please dont hesistate to give advice or critize.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring: thats how we learnussmileyflag
  2. JFJ212

JFJ212 Junior Member

OOOOOOO and the plow will be for 1/2 pickups...either 7' or 7'6"...
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

You will have to have a minimum of 7-6 plow and I would choose a 8 foot to keep from driving over unplowed snow. The more heavy duty the plow, the more you will need a 3/4 ton truck. Of course people use the 1/2 ton all the time but they might have to repair it more often. Good luck.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

yeah you definitely dont wanna be driving over unplowed snow and packing it down. an 8 ft blade would helt to solve this problem for you
  5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Why not get a truck with no lift?
  6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Was thinking the same thing, why so dead set on a lift?
  7. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

I agree... suck it up for a year or 2 have a decent work truck with a decent blade make some money with it, then buy a lifted whatever you want after?
  8. JFJ212

JFJ212 Junior Member

@Kenyou & StihlGuy, thanks and yes the 8' blade would be a good choice Im just concerned about weight on the front end...but thanks

@32vld & quailtycut & PlatinumService

I guess you guys are right...I just want to use the truck as a daily driver and I'm really amped on this truck lifted...personalstyle....right now I have a gmc stock height 2wd and I hate it....

I been thinking about it though and may bite the bullet kinda and save enough for a decent 2nd truck, late 90's ford or older dually or something...

It's just that I really want my next truck to be an enjoyable ride..If I was into cars I would use a car as daily driver and the p/u as a plow but I want my daily driver to be a truck...so I wanted to try and use 1 truck for both things to save cash....

At the same time though I've planning for the next plow season for months now,,reaserch and other
    posts,, i thank you all for the help, I guess a second truck wuld be the best option for me in this situation soo..
  9. dpplank

dpplank Junior Member
    from topeka

another option you might think about especially if your accounts are close together resi's is getting a snowblower. The reasoning is they are good on fuel, saving you money, some are light weight although up in the Chicago area you might want a bigger 2-stage, less wear & tear on truck, saving you money. Harbour freight has a rear hitch wheelchair rack with ramps that you could take a large 2-stage up, no lifting. Cons: out in the elements, takes longer, reducing profit.
    I have 2 snowblowers, single stage due to being by myself a lot, I have almost 30 accounts this year & am taking the money from the last 2 years to buy a plow next year to increase productivity & get more accounts. This way everything is paid for. I also have a F-150 but we only get about 3-5 good snows around here so it takes longer to save up & not as much wear & tear on the truck as the big boys till I can afford a bigger used one. Sorry so long winded. Hope this Helps.
  10. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

First deside what you want more, the truck with a lift, or a plow truck. If money is an issue right now and you want to make some money plowing to get a better truck, then FORGET the lift. ( for now). You need to remember that when you have a lift with bigger tires, YEH it looks good. BUT it also adds wear on the drivetrain, witch means more maintenance cost, not to mention worse fuel econemy, which will be an issue for a daily driver. Also with a lift you will need to customize iether the plow push frame or the plow it'self in order to keep the plow level.
  11. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

A friend of mine has a 7.5ft Western Unimount on his 2001 Ram 1500. He has it lifted 3" and it works fine with the plow. My 1500 is modified to a 2500 front end so it sits a little higher and I have and adjustable mount. My mount is at the second to highest bolt with plenty of room to lower it. If you really want a lift my idea would be to get an Ultramount mount for the truck and put a Unimount converter on it and lower the mount to it's lowest setting.