1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice with plows

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by masterglass, Dec 5, 2005.

1. masterglass

masterglass Junior Member

We just purchased a Ford F-250 superduty excab. and were trying to decide on a plow. Any advice would be helpful. We are looking at fischer's , curtis's, and diamonds. possibly a blizzard also. Any suggestions or warnings? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

Getting my Curtis today!

I'm getting my Curtis put on today! I have an 01 F250 Supercab shortbox. I asked about Curtis a while back on this site and got very positive responses. What I like most about the Curtis is the ease of the Hitch N' Run System. Lots of guys around here have Fisher plows and swear by them, but they also leave them on their trucks all Season.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have 2 blizzards 810's and never had any problems. The reduce clean up time so much, thats if you know how to use the wings, but they can be up there in price.

Ken - New Look Landscaping

4. Tank

Tank Junior Member

Curtis

Bought a Curtis 3000 Hitch n Go this year and I love it! Able to hook it up and drop it off in a matter of minutes!!

5. rogerrc

rogerrc Junior Member

Question

This is my first time on this site. not sure how to post a question.
    My son an I are new to snow plowing. Have a Boss Plow, F-350 diesel.
    Someone said we should we disconnect the air bags before snow plowing.
    It that true? If so, How??
    rogerrc

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Quote: MadRiver:Lots of guys around here have Fisher plows and swear by them, but they also leave them on their trucks all Season.

I don't leave mine on ever. Your statement as to your Friends leaving them on may be true, but I'll tell you that I now of no one that does that ever, unless it is plow truck only.

Now that I have done it three or four times with a minute mount II, I can put it on in less than 1 minute, and can have it off in less than 15 seconds. I'm not stretching the truth at all. I was just as fast with old Minute mount I and I can tell you it getting faster all the time.

Why anyone would buy a plow only based on the the number of seconds to mount and unmount, is totally ridiculous.

7. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i dunno i love the blizzards i have one on my s10...ive plowed with both fishers and meyers as well...the boss has a nice set up simalar to the blizzard...i would go with a 7'6'' for that...some guys might tell u to go with the 8 footer but i like the 7'6'' i feel u can do more....but thats me...good luck

8. Fisher is the cadillac of plows. Your choice should depend alot on the service people close to you. If your truck can handle a v plow, get it, you WONT be sorry. Try and find the Polls that have been on here, Fisher is always the most popular plow.:drinkup:

9. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Air bags

Hey Roger:waving:

Absolutely not!!!! :nono: :nono:

Check this thread http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=29858

As for other question first post in "new to industry/forum" or for specific Ford question "Ford discussion forum"

Read that thread then tell me what you think.

10. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Master 'G' :waving:
    What are you using plow for? How much, how many drives/lots? Dirt or pavement? Any info will help us help you. :)

11. masterglass

masterglass Junior Member

just the company lot and where i live, maybe a few driveways also. not comercially.

12. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

I didn't buy the Curtis based on it's ease of mount and unmount. I said that is what I "liked" most about it. I based my purchase on research, advice, and the reputation/proximity of the local Curtis dealer.

I never implied that Fisher's are difficult to mount or unmount either, just making an observation.

Luckily, there are several good plow manufacturers out there, which gives us all options to choose from. I feel that service is a big part of any purchase like this. I had a bad experience with my local Fisher dealer last year. It had nothing to do with the quality of the Fisher plow itself, but the quality of the dealer's work that left me screwed.

13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I would say go with the brand that has the best dealer support and availability of parts. Then pick the one that YOU like the best. All plows have their advantages/disadvantages. I personally operate Boss....I can connect/disconnect the plow in about 30 seconds (not even kidding), awesome dealer support, "I" like the construction of the plow, and the price. I would steer clear of Diamond. Just my 0.02.:D

14. indyhorses

indyhorses Junior Member

To Skid Shoe Or Not

What't the vote on having the skid shoes on your plow. Most guys here in Indy don't use them. What are the pros and cons...Thanks

15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

my local dealer is a retailer for fisher and boss. I called up to make an appointment and they guy told me boss was the way to go. He said the components are beefier, and it cost less than a similiar fisher. he invited me down so he could show me himself.

Got a 8' Boss Superduty tripedge (w/hid) and i couldn't be happier. This thing is tits, the HID lights on it work and look amazing.