1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Welcomed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Letusspray, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Letusspray

Letusspray Junior Member

So, I'm here in Richmond, VA and I am adding snow removal of driveways and walkways with a SNOWBLOWER to my powerwashing business this winter. I purchased a Toro PowerClear 421R and am ready to roll. One of the condo complexes I service has listed me in their winter flyer as providing service at $35 per driveway, $10 for the sidewalk. After "searching" this site, does this still seem to be a fair price.

We typically get 1-4 inches each snowfall, but this weekend we're possibly getting 15-24 inches. How would I adjust my rates for other residential customers who will hopefully call?? At this point I realize I can not renig on the price I quoted the condo complex residents, just didn't count on a massive dump this far south - Oh Well.

Any other words of wisdom would be very greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I cant tell you if your rates are good for your area, but what I have found out over the last 12 years of plowing that the areas where snow fall is not very common the higher the rates are per service. Now if the condo residents are calling you after the snow gets up to 15 to 20 inches of snow and expecting you to do the drive for $35 then you are selling yourself short IMO. Good Luck

3. NickDe03

NickDe03 Junior Member

Pretty simple. that price is per pass. so you charge $35 each time the snow reaches 3 inches. so if it snows 24" then thats 8 passes and you make a total of $280 from each driveway you clear. you can set the trigger depth at 2, 3 or 4" whatever your customers want, but in no way would you clear any more then 4" at a time for that price

4. Letusspray

Letusspray Junior Member

Great advice so far guys. BTW, I heard of some people using a type of "fertilizer" as an icemelt/slip prevention. Anyone ever heard of that practice and what it is they're using. The idea was that the salt was bad for the landscape and sod, but the fert. did the same melting job and was good for the surrounding plants. I'm just sayin'. Anyone heard anything about this??

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I think the fert. your talking about is called urea.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if people call...tell them the rate posted is for a 4" maximun snowfall and the price goes up according to the snow

7. Lsanzerr

Lsanzerr Junior Member

Your pricing is good but as mentioned you need to make sure that as thr snow accumulation climbs so should your prices. Don't forget your operating cost and your wear and tear. Anyone that doesn't understand that as a customer you probably dont want anyways.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Urea as ice melter

It will work but works very slow compared to other options.

Based on the weather right now in your area you will have good experience after this storm goes through. You have been given some great advice by the other post.

Know your costs per hour and then set your price and you will never need to ask anyone if that sounds fair. If you need help with that, check a CD that we offer titled "Know why you charge what you charge". It is simple to use and calculates your cost per hour based on your overhead, expenses and use-rates.

Good luck and call if you have any questions.

9. Letusspray

Letusspray Junior Member

Thanks!!

You all have been a tremendous help and source for advice, Thanks and I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas!!