1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice wanted on using spreader/vbox

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ahaycoman, Dec 23, 2015.

1. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

I've got a 2-yard Monroe spreader mounted on the flatbed of a 1-ton plow truck but I don't get the opportunities to use the spreader as often as I'd like to--only spreading "chips" (3/8 gravel) when I am called to or when I see a need to do it. The cost to me is minimal but when my customers are happy I'm happy. I'm strictly a one truck operation doing only commercial lots although I have been at it for several years.

My thought is that it might be also useful to occasionally spread other materials such as rock salt, but I know nothing about doing anything like that. Would the salt help as far as preventing ice to the extent that it would be worth doing--or would it just create the opportunity for refreezing later? Or would it be better to be applied afterwards on top of the ice? Or is there possibly another material that could be dispensed or mixed in, since I don't know of a source of bulk salt in this area. Cost might be a factor as well, since Sam's Club water softener salt would likely be where I would have to buy it and that might end it right there.

And I'm unsure what the rust effects might be on my equipment. Although this area is not humid at all, I do park in a heated shop so condensation (rust) with refreezing might enter into the picture--I don't know.

I know that I've asked a lot of questions, most of which will probably be quite elementary, but if anybody has any thoughts to share I sure would like to have some responses and/or suggestions. Anything that might add to my knowledge will be appreciated.
  2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

We salt before during and after.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Are your customers willing to pay for de-icing vs spreading chips?

Will salt actually work in your area? Or is it too cold?

In your area, if you applied enough salt, it would melt and then dry. Once you get rid of the ice, you shouldn't have more ice unless you allow hardpack to build up.

Other materials? Calcium and mag are all possibilities. Do you have a Lesco\JDL\OneSite or Siteone or whatever they're calling themselves this year? They could get some in for you, but cost might be high.

Rust, yes, it might increase the rate of rust, but due to your overall climate AND parking it in a heated building, you shouldn't have to worry about it very much. Not like here or the east coast.

Good luck.