1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice to new and old plowers

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BigDave12768, Dec 22, 2008.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought a used Xblade about 2 weeks ago. Plow was perfect when I picked it up. I couldnt wait to see how it plowed. About 3 hours into a 30 hour storm the lift pistion wont go up. So I get out of truck to take a look. The piston is hanging down. The pin that holds the lift cylender is gone. Cotter pin must have broke or something. Well up until about 2 weeks ago I would have been on phone call around at 7pm looking for a place that is open. which is no where in MA. Or hoping a buddy might have one at there shop. well not this time. I bought a Fisher emergency kit. I even filled toolbox with tools. So 5 minutes later I was good to go. These emergency kits are a must have. I bought the pricey Fisher one for $130. It came with a hat that i proudly wore for 5 minutes while fixing my plow. But you can find aftermarkets cheaper online for about $60. It payed for itself first storm.

2. antanddom

antanddom Member

plow problems

R and D exhaust in Billerica is open 24 hours durning a storm if this helps

3. BigDave12768

Yeah it does a bit. But I do sub work at 65/hr mostly and plow through storm. So Quincy to Billerica is at least a 3 hour trip during a storm. Box paid for itself already. But thanks for info

4. antanddom

antanddom Member

your very welcome

5. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

NAPA usually has plow parts, But stuff never breaks when stores are open. Some spare stuff & tools is a MUST!

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Also had great luck with Napa, albeit during normal business hours. It meant the difference between an hour lost and $1200 out for a storm. I find they have a great selection of various things to help. Fisher stuff was predominant at ours

7. svt2205

svt2205 Member

What sort of "stuff" is in the emergency tool box? I don't have all that many choices for parts sources in my part of NH.

8. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

how well is his service and stock collectoin?

i use south chelmsford auto werx mostly

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You were never a Boy Scout!
    I Always have spare cotter pins, a full selection of hand tools, and some misc pieces I can MacGuyver into a temporary repair to get me home, or through the route.

2 I couldn't fix on the road- Lost fluid and couldn't raise plow- drove into a bank to lift the blade and carry chained it home to fix- flat tire in 2 feet of snow during blizzard at 1 AM- truck tire ratchet shattered in the cold- drove home on flat to fix. Now carry 3/4 breaker bar and cheater pipe instead of factory tools.

Even when I lost the tranny last week I was able to drive home!

10. BigDave12768