1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice purchasing 95 F-150

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Nimitz, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Nimitz

Nimitz Junior Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1995 F-150 ext. cab w/ 6ft. bed for a good price. Truck has been looked over and is in good condition. My question is, I am new to plowing and want to make sure I know what I am getting and if it will be adequate. It has the small 8 cylinder engine and I think it's 3250 FGAW, it is definitely not the 3800 as Meyer told me I needed on it. I will be plowing some driveways and a few small business parking lots and am leaning toward a sno-way plow but was wondering what is the best plow for this truck. Sno-way has an 18, 24 and 25 series that I have looked at. Obviously the 18 is much lighter, but it seems designed more for only personal plowing. Please advise as to what I should do in this situation. The truck is an automatic trans. Also, are these Sno-way plows power angle units? Thanks.

David Williamson
    Winchester, VA
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My non-expert comments...I have a 99 Expedition with a Snoway MT90 that I put on last year. Works great; I just do my driveway and sometimes my neighbor's, so I don't do a huge amount at a time.

The Snoway does have power angle, but I don't know about the three models that you listed.

The Expedition is basically the same as the F150.

If you're going to be doing alot of plowing, my advice would be to look for a heavier duty truck - 3/4 ton at least. A lot depends on the cost, of course. If the F150 you're looking at is real cheap, then maybe it won't be a big deal if it doesn't work out good. On the other hand, if you can find an F-250 for close to the same price, I'd go for that.

I had purchased my Expedition years before I had a need to plow with it, so I didn't have plowing in mind when I bought it. When it comes time to trade this in, I'll get a 3/4 ton.
  3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Hi & welcome to Plowsite.

Read this thread here:

I know it's about a 97 Dodge 1500, but the whole idea is that it's more about putting a plow on a 1/2 ton pickup than specifically a Dodge. Pay special attention to Mick's post at the end of the thread, that pretty much says it all about using a 1/2 ton as a plow truck.

Also, read around, you'll see lots of other writings on this subject if you look for them and you'll find out enough to make a good decision.
  4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

You'll hear banter back and forth about 1/2tons with plows. Some people plow very successfully with them and others don't. No matter what truck you buy, it must be equipped to handle the stress, must have an appropriate sized plow, must be maintained well and cannot be driven like a bulldozer.

If the truck you are looking at has the plow prep package or at least the towing package and you put a 7.5' plow on it, you'll be fine. Drive and plow with it gently and you will minimize wear and tear. If you start ramming piles though, you will be repairing it more than driving it.
  5. tuna

tuna Senior Member