1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice, please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MsQueen, Oct 15, 2003.

1. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

I am new to the site and to plowing. I just bought a 1999 GMC Sierra, 1500 and want to throw a plow on it. Any suggestions? Do I need to install special springs, etc. Any good tips on how to plow. I got some good stuff regarding warming up your trans prior to plowing, I've read to let the engine run after plowing for several minutes to cool down the tranny. Thanks! And yes, I am a woman plower!!!

2. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

If you don't already have a transmission cooler, then you will want one. There is a load booster product that is talked about a ton on here. Search for Timbren(s). They will be a very good idea on a half ton truck. I wouldn't suggest putting over a 7 1/2' plow on the truck. I am assuming your truck is 4x4. If not, then that will be a problem. There is so much to say......I guess I'll let the other guys take over.....PM me if you have any more questions. I have a pretty good grip on most stuff in the plowing business.

Just remember! Don't be a lowballer lol.:D Search for lowballer and you will see what I'm getting at.
    Welcome to plowsite.

3. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Thanks for your quick response. What do you think a cooler would go for? What are better, trimbrens or a load booster? Yes, it's 4 x 4. I already know what a lowballer is, don't need to look that one up! :)

4. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Timbrens are a type of load booster. The alternative to them would be air bags. Some people even replave their stock leaf springs, but I have no idea on a 99 gm.... I would suggest the Timbrens, because they are cheaper and there is less that can go wrong with them. (actually they have no moving parts so I don't know if anything could go wrong with Timbrens) RPM sales sells timbrens. They are a plowsite sponsor. Probably around $160 for the Timbrens. They are really easy to install yourself. As for the tranny cooler.... There is a user on her named Wyldman (Chris) He knows everything about parts and installation and stuff. I'm hoping he will have good advise on the cooler. He isn't the only one, but he has helped me before.

Wyldman!! Where are you!!!

5. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

You think I can install them myself? Do I need to remove anything or just add them on. I'm pretty handy but not too mechanical.

Thanks again for your advice.

Okay Wyldman, where are you when I need you?

6. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

7. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

It's a 1500, but not sure on the "HD". I don't believe so.
    5.7L Vortec

I've included a picture

my new truck.jpg

8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I don't think it is either. So those are the instruction then. They don't look too hard do they?

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Timbrens are very simple to install.

10. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

11. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

The instructions don't look too hard but I don't have a lift. Why don't you guys live close to me??? You've been a great help. I checked out another site and looked at tranny coolers. I think the timbrens and cooler are a must.

Good night, it's 12:30am here, got to get my beauty sleep::sleeping:

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you should be able to install them with out a lift just a floor jack will do.

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

nice garage to work on the truck looks like one of cummings property buildings.

14. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

One of the best suggestions i can think of when adviseing you on a plow is to see what deelers are in your area and which one you will be able to get the best service from. good luck with what ya get. i tend to prefur boss myself but everyone has their favorites.

Seth

15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MS.......That truck should handle a 7 1/2 ft plow
    just fine ! I had one just like it with a Western
    on it ! Bone stock with no suspension mods either.

A Western ultra-mount 7.6 ft. would be a good
    choice, easy on, easy off, priced right too !

Good luck and pray for LOTS of snow !

Since your so close you should stop at the BBQ
    in Poughkeepsie this Sat. !

Welcome to PS cuz this is the place if you have
    questions or problems!.................geo

16. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

You guys are really nice to a "newcomer"! Thanks. I'll be showing my truck to a guy I know who knows everything about everything and specializes in auto/truck mechanics so I'll get his opinion on the timbrens and cooler also. I'll be praying for snow as soon as I clear a couple of driveways and get the hang of it.

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Welcome to PlowSite! I think all the guys here are being a little overly nice, since you are female. :D Thats a real nice Chevy truck you have there. It looks to be in great shape judging from the picture. Like said above, that truck will handle a 7.5' plow no problem. Any particular brand snowplow you are leaning towards? I have a Western on my Chevy and love it. If you have a Western dealer in your area thats closeby, that would be great. Mike :waving:

18. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Well, I guess it does have its benefits being female at times! I also think a lot of chats have genuinely nice people.

I actually have a dealer close by who installs Fisher, Meyers, Diamond and Western (I know two of these mentioned are affiliated with the other two). He likes Fisher. I also have a good friend who'll I pass the truck by and get his opinion. I would actually like to get a used one but they are hard to find right now. Do you have a trans cooler in your Chevy?

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nope, no trans cooler here. That was a damn good question because when I read it, I honestly didnt know if I had one or not as stupid as that may sound. I got out my original window sticker and read each option. :D No listing of a trans cooler. It would be a good idea to have one on there, but the truck is a 1992 with well over 100k miles and the transmission only needed replacing once, which in my oppinion isnt bad with that kind of mileage. Your dealer sells both Fisher and Western. They are both very good plows. If I was in your shoes, I would have a tough time with that decision. Im sure you know that Fisher is a bottom trip snowplow and Western is a full trip snowplow, so really your choice comes down to which trip type you want and do you like bright red or yellow? :D Mike :drinkup:

20. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

MsQueen, Where you located?