1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on wrecked truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Theshoemaker, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Hello, i was wondering if anybody had any experience or advise for me. Last week i was involved in an accident. I was not at fault and my truck was totaled. My truck was my work truck, it had a meyer undercarriage with lift frame-hoop on it and that stuff took the majority of the impact. The undercarriage was bent and broke some welds on the supports. The hoop/lift frame was pushed backwards into the grille/hood. My truck also had a dump insert in it that was damaged (dump insert sits cocked to one side?).. So long story short, insurance adjuster from the other persons insurance company came out and checked damage and came back with some disappointing numbers. They offered me $900 less than kbb or nada value and the truck only books in around $2200-$2500..Hmm, then comes the part where they tell me that they won't cover the plow stuff or dump insert because "it's mounted to truck and we are declaring the truck a total loss".. So what do I do? My truck was insured commercially with the plow and dump insert but i only had liability coverage so my insurance company will be of little help. I was under the impression that their insurance company would restore or replace my truck to the same condition/place before the accident. Then even if my plow stuff was salvageable, am I supposed to foot the bill to have the stuff removed and re-mounted on the replacement truck?/Anybody go thru anything like this?
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you're going to pay the price for being under-insured. Even if you don't have a loan on your vehicle it's a good idea to carry collision insurance. Heck, it's a good idea to have collision, comprehensive, personal injury and of course liability.
  3. 05ram

05ram Member

It could not hurt to contact your insurance company and have them look at your truck.
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I was and other company paid for all new plow frame and new plow that was on truck at time of accident
    Have your company contact them
    Or have a lawyer contact them they really don't want to hear from you
    You might be able to sue the other person directly for what his insurance isn't covering
  5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Contact your insurance company. They should help you. You always want full commercial coverage, and make sure all attached items are listed and insured.
  6. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

Don't settle for what the at faults insurance is offering. Their job is to close the case for as little as possible as soon as possible. If it's mounted on the truck and you have documentation as to its value and documentation that it is no longer serviceable it should be replaced.
  7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

As stated, insurance companies don't want to pay out. I always keep full coverage, commercial coverage on my truck for just this reason. A few years back, I was T-boned on Nov. 15. I was at no way at fault as I was on a 2 lane high way and the truck that hit me ran a stop sign. My insurance company totaled the truck, cut me a check for what they said was replacement value (which was twice as much as I paid for that truck) and also sent the at fault drivers insurance a note saying they were responsible to cover my deductible, and they sent me a check for $500.
    Did I lose a plow truck at a bad time? Yep, was I prepaired? Yep, do I still carry full coverage in case it happens again? Yep.
    Everything turned out well.
    My advice... DONT ACCEPT THE INSURANCE COMPANYS FIRST OFFER. Let your truck sit in the in pound lot (if they are paying for it). They will want to work with you to get it out of there as soon as possible. So don't accept an offer you cant be happy with. Sorry this happened to you!
  8. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Any updates