1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Which plow to buy???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Curt, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Curt

Curt Junior Member

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500 HD and am looking for a plow. Not for commercial use but for my driveway 900" and neighbors. I have no clue on which plow will do the job without giving an arm and a leg for it? Thanks in advance.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well for the most part you have a HD truck even tho your only gonna do small small stuff now will you be getting into more later on?And are you gonna keep the truck a long time because if your gonna sell it within 4-5 years a HD plow would be a good tool to sell it with. but for small plowing stuff fisher LD,Meyer,snoway.are some that might be what your looking for I have a Diamond 8' on my K2500.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, Curt and welcome to PlowSite. You've asked an almost impossible question to answer. There are too many factors to consider to give a good answer. How much are you wanting to spend? A decent 8' plow (the least you need for that 2500) is going to run about $4,000. If you're going to be doing others' drives, you'll want to get good quality stuff. No use putting junk on a new truck. Also, you'll want to get insurance specific to plowing snow.

I'm assuming from your post that you have no experience in pushing snow.

Two suggestions - first go to the top of this page and click on Chuck's "Snowing Contractor's Network". Lots of information there. Second - find out what brand of plows are being sold in your area. Go visit a dealer for each. Get brochures and compare features, ease of hookup etc. Look up manufacturers on the Web. Do searches on this site for various brands. You'll get lots of opinions for each brand.

Some people recommend buying used, some (like myself) consider buying a used plow as buying someone else's trouble.

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I will never buy another straight blade personally, but if you are not doing it as a business, then buy a straight as opposed to a v-plow, to keep cost down.

If I was only doing local drives and my own, then using the truck to go to work or other places where I didnt want to bring the plow, ease of mounting and taking off would be most important to me. The new ultra mount from western would fit the bill nicely. Western pro 8' with ultra mount will run around $4000.

What part of MI are you from?

5. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I have and 8'-6" Fisher V-Plow on mine and the truck handles it fine. I only paid $3800 for it installed. I don't think I would want to pay $4000 for a straight blade.

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

For just doing your own drive, I'd find a good used plow... check the used equipment forum. Yes, I have one up for sale in there, but that's not my sole purpose. Buying a used plow can be a tricky endeavor. If you find one in the used equipment forum here on plowsite, chances are the person you'll be dealing with would have taken better care of it, and will be easier to get in touch with if you have questions.

http://www.plowsite.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I would retract my advise against buying used if you're considering Tim's (SlimJim71) plow. Could very well be worth the drive down there.

8. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Around these parts, you'll pay upwards of $4500 to have a V-plow on your truck, and I would be surprised if you found an 8' Western with the ultra for under $3800, even this time of year.