1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on spreading crushed concrete or other aggregate?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bossman 92, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking for any advice on spreading different aggregate for traction aid. Had a sweet deal fall into my lap regarding well lease roads and we can't use salt...or at least not much of it.

Let's hear it!

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

How are you spreading this aggregate?

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

In my area sand is used.Whatever you use it better be dry and stored indoors or it will freeze in sander.

4. alfman

alfman Junior Member

I've ran #9 pea gravel through my v boxes for traction on icy chip&seal lanes before. I get it at central allied in Canton. It spreads nice ,but if its wet at all it will freeze in your box. When you buy it off the pile it will probably be wet, I would prolly set up a bin/shed for it to stay dry. If you have any questions just give me a call 330-877-2100.

5. Bossman 92

Sorry, through a gas V box spreader.

6. Bossman 92

We spread cinders a few years ago and if they were wet at all they would freeze up and create a solid brick of crap.

7. Bossman 92

What are the chances you could mix a little salt of even some power calcium chloride with this grit to keep it from freezing?