1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Snowbear Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cm70, Nov 15, 2001.

1. cm70

cm70 Junior Member
    from NH

New guys seeks advice on the light truck/SUV Snowbear plows (www.snowbear.com).

Anyone hear good or bad about them. They cost about $1000 new and bolt on to your frame. They have an electric motor to raise and lower the blade and a manual angle adjust.

I am thinking of putting it on a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder. I have a long flat driveway with lots of wide open space to push snow around.

Is it worth buying this or should I look for a beater plow truck. I plan on just doing my driveway.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think if you stick to your own driveway, only, the Snowbear should be ok. Manual angling would be a pain, but you already know that. With your straight runs, should be ok. You would want to plan where to deposit snow along the way to avoid pushing snow for long runs. Driving the truck yourself, you would avoid abusing the truck since the frame is going to take the whole shock. Plan on pushing every 2-3 inches. Careful planning will be the key.
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Don't try bucking any real snow with them. THe attachment points are very weak. Find a good used plow for teh same price or spend a little more on a new plow or beater truck with a plow.
  4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I'd have to agree. Those plows are junk IMO. Even as bad as they talk about Hinikers around here, you'd be better off with one of them than a toy like that Sno Bear.

If you look around, you may be able to get a decent used plow and have it installed for what you would pay for the Sno Bear.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ouch. I agree with ct18fireman and Snojob67, though. One of those rare moments when I was trying to be nice. But you need to figure if it's worth it to you to buy a truck and plow or take a chance, be very careful and put up with the inconveniences.
  6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I don't know about the beater plows in this case. This fellow wants to buy a Snowbear to compete with his snow shovel or snow blower. $1,000 is comparable to a snowblower, and it is new and comes with some form of warantee. As I understand them, they offer basic snowplow functions from the comfort of your vehicle. I say get one - they are better than a snowblower and beat turning wrenches on a beater plow.
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My first and primary suggestion would be to find a used plow of a name brand Fisher, Meyer, Western. These are much better built (even the Meyer) then a snowbear IMO.

Yes he may save money then turning a wrench on a beater truck. He may also severly damage the frame of the truck if the mounting frame breaks. I think he wants to keep his vehicle nice.

A side note may be that a beater truck would allow him to have it for other uses.
  8. cm70

cm70 Junior Member
    from NH

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input. It has been difficult to find a "real plow" that fits my Pathfinder. I called a Fisher sales Rep and he said that the smallest vehicles Fisher plows will fit are Jeep Wranglers and Toyota trucks. He said the frame is too heavy for an SUV like the Pathfinder.

Will a Meyers plow fit a Pathfinder? I saw a used Meyers plow for about $1500. But that requires installing the hydraulic lift and mounting the frame. Can a Pathfinder even handle plowing, or will the wear and tear destroy it?

The Snowbear plow seems fairly solid, weighs 300 lbs and mounts quickly. I talked to one guy selling a used one, he said it worked great on his Ford Explorer and he used it for a couple of years. But as you say in your replies, it won't stand up to any real pushing.

I have been keeping an eye on plow trucks, but they come and go fast this time of year and I am hesitant to buy a lemon and spend more time fixing the truck and plow than using it.
  9. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If you only want to plow your drive, and don't mind plowing every 3 or 4" of accumulation. Just get the snowbear. Easy on the truck, easy to remove, and light weight. Just make sure you know of a welder.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Id buy the snowbear if i were you,just remember,plow with the storm,dont go ut and try to plow 12" of wet snow with that blade,it will likely break,and dont let anyone sucker you into plowing their driveway,this is a personal use plow only,as you already know,I wpouldnt even plow anything other than blacktop,and stay away from curbs with it,and you should do just fine.I seen a guy with a mid ninetys Dodge Caravan last year,he was plowing with it,no joke,even had a strobe on the roof,a huge church parking lot,and his horse stable,all the lanes,and parking areas.I seen him on the road in one storm about 5 times,so he was using it commercially.Funny thing is tht caravan actually plowed pretty good,and it wasnt even AWD.
  11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

How much snow will you have to push when you plow? If your driveway tends to drift in pretty deep, the Snowbear may not cut it. (I see "NH" in your profile for location, so I'm guessing you see quite a bit of the white stuff)

If the snowfalls are up to 4" - 6", and you don't abuse your vehicle, the Pathfinder/Snowbear combination will probably work OK for you.

As far as fitting a Meyer plow onto the Pathfinder, a competent welder/fabricator can make any plow fit any vehicle. It may involve a lot of work (which = $$$) so it may or may not be worth it.

A beater truck just for the driveway? Another good option to consider, my employer does just that for his l-o-n-g farmhouse lane. An older 1/2-ton can buck snow pretty well, but even doing just your own driveway you can still break things. He had to replace the front driveshaft this winter. To get one of those beater plow trucks "el cheapo" though, you'll probably get what you pay for and may end up doing what you said: spend more time fixing it than plowing with it.

All things considered, depending on how badly you get socked in every time it snows the Snowbear may work OK for you - as long as you don't go out plowing commercially with it! :eek:

The guys are right about "plow with the storm".
  12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I know a guy that mounted a Fisher on a 92 Nissan. The Front is the same as the pickup.

I would go with a Meyer as it is lighter

I just feel any of these are better then the snowbear and better for you in the long run.