1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on putting a 9.5’ mvp on a f250 and converting from 3 to 2 plugs

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by timpoth, Feb 22, 2012.

1. timpoth

timpoth Junior Member

Hi Everybody
    Currently I have a old, beat 7.5 western ultramount on a 05 f250, diesel, timberns front and back. The biggest issue I have with the setup is the plow is too short, have to hit the mailbox with my mirror to get the snow and when I slid or turn my back in also in the snow.

I have the opportunity to get a used only once, (… yea maybe) very nice looking, western 9.5 mvp pro plus for 3900 (I’m thinking that’s a good price …) but my first question, is that too big? I don’t have a lot of experience plowing so I didn’t know if anyone had used a similar setup and had some issues with it, other than its bigger so be careful. Maybe that’s too much plow for a 250?

Second question if I may (I see there are posts out there about wiring, I am working through them, thought I would ask all the same) my truck is setup with a 4port isolation module (pn 26400 if that helps) the mvp is setup for 2 plugs and comes with electronics that look to be off a 08+ ford. I believe I can use my 4 port module and headlight wiring with the new plow by using the control harness and light harness (from the controller and module to the plow) from the newer truck. I just need to cut / splice together the #1 port cable to link with the new adapter, doesn’t look that hard from the diagram. Anyone know?

Is there anything else I’m overlooking? My battery cable looks to be a 4 pin and It looks like the motor relay gets to come out but beyond that I’m not sure. This is the diagram I am referencing http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/22373.07_110108_for_Web.pdf

Thanks for your time!
  2. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

one of my buddys run a 9'6 fish v on his 6.0L drw pick up with a 1.9 yard v-box heaped it pushes fine power wise, but pushes the truck all over the place
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Interesting, I have never been "pushed all over the place" in my truck with a 9'6" V plow and I don't have a sander in the back. Maybe 6-800lbs of ballast but thats it.

To the OP, get the plow you'll love the added size for efficiency. I actually want wings for mine, but I don't have any narrow drives so that could be a factor for you. You're truck will handle the size of that plow just fine, especially since you already have timbrens.

As for the wiring, you should be set with re-using your headlight harness with the new system.
  4. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

my buddy plows roads maybe thats the diff
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I actually plow a road as well LOL. Other than the road the rest of my accounts are post-storm plowing, so its had a night to stop snowing and freeze up.

I thought I've read that DRW trucks actually get worse traction in the back than SRW trucks which would be the problem with your buddys truck.
  6. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We have that same plow with wings and it used to be on a 2000 F250. No problems at all. The truck had add a leafs on the front and carried the weight fine. No problem at all pushing it.

As for the wiring.. as long as you use the power plug from the mvp, you should be fine. I am not sure but I think the plugs may be the same for the 08 lights to your lights. Otherwise, you should be fine with putting the new iso module from the mvp in your truck and just splicing the ends of the plugs from your old harness to the harness from the 08. we have done this with no problems.
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have 2 plug and thats power and lights The plow control is wireless To hook it up to your truck you going need the module for a mvp+ I could be wrong never tried doing it the way you doing it
  8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i would check with a western dealer on the wiring. but im pretty sure you can reuse wireing. most likely just the light harness.

a MVP+ uses the 2 plug system. an 11 pin and a multiplex plug with 4 pins 2 large 2 small. also controller plug is 4 pin

a MVP uses the 3 plug system a 2 pin power/ground. a 7 pin and an 11 pin. controller plug is 6 pin

a straight blade 3 plug system runs a 2 pin power/ground. a 3 pin and an 11 pin. controller plug is 6 pin.

hope that helps
  9. timpoth

timpoth Junior Member

Thank you guys very much for your input!
    For anyone who cares, I decided to go for it and picked up the plow yesterday. Cut the module end of my 3 plug control cable off (connector and inline fuses) and cut the 4 pin connector off the light harness from the 3port (2 plug) cable I got with the plow (hope that makes sense). Left all the other lighting cables in my truck alone. Splices the 2 cables together, hooked it up, found I had reversed hot and ground, re-spliced cables and she’s up and running!
    Thanks again