1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice on preventing rust

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by paul soccodato, Dec 23, 2002.

1. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

about 2 years ago, i bought a new torwell sander (1.7 yard). i wanted to get the stainless one, but the dealer was out, and couldnt get me one for about 2 months. i was tired of throwing salt off the back of the truck, and just picked up a big commercial lot. anyways i got the steel one. problem is its starting to slightly rust. (expected). any advice on how to slow this process down a bit. i always wash the unit out when im finished with it, only have salt in it when using it, after i wash it out (scrubed clean) i oil the whole machine up. just sucks to pay $3600 for something and watch it deteriorate.
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Oil,rustproofing or Fluid Film.

The oil is probably the most readily available,can be just sprayed or wiped on.We use cheap rustproofing from our oil recyclers.Made of recycled oil,looks just like motor oil,but a little thicker and it has some sort of "clinging" agent in it so it sticks and doesn't run as much.It's also really cheap.5 gal pail is less than $20.00 CDN.We use an old paint gun to spray it on after the equipment has been washed.Fluid Film is something we used to use,but it is fairly expensive,and leaves a waxy residue that makes the equipment look funny.
  3. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Instead of using straight salt use magic salt as it will stop the rusting process which you are seeing on your sander
    Joh Parker
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Along those lines, I had already thought about spraying Magic-0 on the sander next Spring.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am not trying to be a wise guy, but that is exactly why I sold my 2 steel units this year, and now run 2 stainless units.
    1- the enviroment is just to much for the painted steel to deal with
    2- even with magic salt, when the magic washed off the salt, you still get direct salt to stell contact, it does slow it down, but it wont stop it
    3- factory paint is lousy, whether it be a spreader or a plow, once the corrosion starts, good luck
    4- short of a complete disassemble, sand blast and repaint with good paint, you will never be able to stop it

If it was me, touch up as much as you can, and sell it while it still looks good, and buy a stainless.Again not being a wise guy, just feeling your pain.
  6. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Rust never sleeps.:realmad:
  7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Try Lubra-Seal, from Rhomar. It isn't cheap, but it does seem to work well. I suggest you brush it on, because using their sprayer, you waste a lot of it. I duct taped a 4" paint brush on a broken rake handle to apply it, and it works well. The stuff is messy, but cleans up with Naptha.

On the spreader motor and auger drive chains, I use Stihl bar & chain oil. Again, I apply it with a small 1/2" disposable brush.

8. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

Maybe this spring, take it apart and then have someone sand blast and powder coat the unit.

This past summer, I finished restoring my 69 Camaro and had about 35 pcs, including the innner fenders and control arms done this way for about $600. I did this as the process is tough as nails, and resists gas, oils and brake fluids. And on top of it, powder coated parts look great.

Look for a company that does automotive, not industrial. Most automotive places have blasting cabinets and ovens big enough for car frames.

This may be the way to go.
  9. frogman

frogman Member
    from MD

I have been using a couple of products (available commercially at any auto supply) that have been working well.

1)Brush the rust with with a wire wheel or wire brush. Do not sand blast, as some rust must be present for the next step.

2)Brush on a rust converter (Ex-tend or any comprable product. Comes in liquid and spray form. Brushed on liquid leaves a heavier finish and is the better option IMO). The converter changes the character of the rust to "non-threatening" and stops the oxidation process. I do at least 2 preferably 3 coats. No big deal, as the dry time until the next coat is in minutes.

4)Let the stuff cure overnight.

5)Coat with undercoating (comes in a spray can for auto use). I've done this to the rear end of my trucks, hitches, plow frames, salt spreader frames (mini type, not a V), wheel barrows, Trailers. It's inexpensive and has been working well for me.
  10. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

My mechanic told me to spray diesel fuel in the spreader, have been doing it for a few years, with pretty good luck...
  11. plowking35

from SE CT

Here is the biggest problem. Getting to the channel under the spreader where the conveyor chain runs. the only way to really get in there is to remove the chain and proceed from there. I just didnt want the hassel anymore of painted steel and went to stainless. I have so much more free time now.
  12. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

But even thought the box itself wont rust and deteriorate, the chains, gears, etc. ... all the stuff that normally deteriorates first with heavy use will still corrode and break ... eventually ... and need to be replaced ... those parts aren't SS.
    If a Steel unit will last say 5-6 years with good (not fanatical) maintenance and costs about $2500-$3000 installed, then you either sell it or junk it, and buy another one ... why spend another $1000-$1500 more for SS, when you are still going to have to rip the thing down and replace the chain/belt, gears, bearings, drive chains, motor, and most everything else except the box and chute?
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2002
  13. plowking35

from SE CT

You would have to see the smith to understand. The chain is the only item that would have to replced after about 15 yrs of use. The bearings are very easy to chainge if need be.
    As for cost I payed 3600.00 for my smith unit 2 weeks ago, that is with in a few hundred of a mild steel gas unit, and I dont have the anuual maint hassels. I have owned the steel units and like you said you have to turn them over every 5 yrs. My smith will go 10 yrs with out any major overhaul. And the hopper will still be 100%.
    Ok you buy a new steel unit for 3000.00, sell it for 1500.00 in 5 years, and buy another for 3000.00, so you now have 4500.00 into a spreader, do the same in another 5 years and at the ten year mark you have 6000.00 into a spreader. That doesnt include maint. issues along the way during those 5 yrs of use. I still have my original 3600.00 plus lets say another 1000.00 in replacement and repair(that might be a high number but we will go with that)
    I am still way ahead of the your numbers and I still have a good looking SS unit. Trust I have run the numbers and the SS units are the way to go.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

precisly why i purchased a S S v box when i decided to start deicing, little more up front...lot less down the line.
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with Dino.I run a SS Bradford,it is 6 yrs old now,its still like new.Last yr i replaced all the bearings,as a preventative,since they were rusting bad,and a few wouldnt take grease.It cost me about 150 bucks for every bearing on it. 7 of them in all.I also put a new spinner shaft on,since it was rusted,and i bent it backing in a snow pile.that was 16 bucks.I bought a new new conveyer chain for 280 buck,its sitting under my bench,since mine is in good shape yet,its there if i break mine. All told i have less than 500 in 6 yrs of maintenance,and this spreader is like new yet.all the fasteners are SS also,I plan on running this unit for at least 10 more yrs,or it gets damaged beyond repair.Paul, I use Magic salt,and it really does help,but it wont cure your rusting problems,it will slow them dramatically,but as long as you spreader gets wet,it washes off the magic,and it rusts instantly.
  16. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

OK, I guess there are certain merits to the SS, but I would like to ask how well the electric models do with sand/salt mix ... not just straight salt ... we usually run the mix here on the Island, I really haven't heard of or seen that many other contractors either pre-treating or using straight salt. Maybe I am blind and just not seeing it, but I really do not think straight salt is common practice or pre-treating around here.
  17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe you should be the one to initiate a new standard. The economics of using mix just aren't there. You can do a better job for less money by going with straight salt. The only time mix can be justified is on gravel areas. Ask Geoff about his opinion on that, he made the switch a couple years ago.
  18. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

KLM, We are in the same boat in my area, no one and I mean no one uses straight salt around here everyone uses sand/salt mix, well from this forum and from going to John Parkers and talking to others we decided two years ago to switch over to all salt, for all my customers, and you would not believe the results and the benifits, I now can do my entire route with two spreader trucks, we havent even put the 8yd spreader in our big truck yet this year because we dont need to, we use half the amount of material, it works faster and is alot more economical, My competion I know for a fact thinks that I am crazy and must be spending a fortune on material but I am way ahead of the game and I still charge for the sanding, customers are happy some dont get the idea of no sand but I have had no problems with it and I am very happy with the switch. Just my two cents
  19. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I was not implying that it isn't a good idea ... but here are a couple of issues -
    1) Most customers are used to SEEING the sand on the lots and thus KNOWING you applied it and assume there is salt in it. I would think it would take a concienious effort on all contractors in this area to educate the customer on the benefits of using straight salt - better, faster results and no clean-up in the spring, to name a few.
    2) Finding salt, let alone pretreated salt, in bulk ... and then not paying an arm and first born child for it. I was picking up some mix the other evening and the place I was at had straight salt ... for $105 a ton ... sorry but I think that it a bit steep.
    3) Finding a distributor of Magic, or other similar treatment, to apply to the salt to increase the overall benefit, effectiveness and reduce the corrosiveness to equipment ... { does Magic counteract the white dust/drip trails on carpet you get with straight salt??}

These are just a few things that would have to be considered but as for now, the mix is readily available and can be had for about $30-$35 a yard.
  20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Kryn, don't feel alone. I also use a sand/salt mix. Yes, I know all the benefits etc. But, economics and every surface I treat being hardpack and gravel wins out. Sand is readily available from the pit five miles from my house. He also sells me the mix. Salt is trucked from the coast so I would have to pay trucking.

I've started passing out samples of Magic Salt this year. Going over well except for the potential cost. Next year I'll be treating and selling bulk. So, I'm experimenting with Magic coated sand. Let's see, salt cost $50/ton plus trucking - sand costs $8.50/ton and very minimal trucking cost (my gas for ten miles round trip). Hold on, I'll figure it out as soon as I find my calculator.:rolleyes: