1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on plow truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by weeble67, Aug 9, 2011.

1. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Okay, I've been in the lawn care business since 2004. I have done it part time, and am fully legit, all taxes and insurance. I have been doing some customers small drives with my ATV and was approached by a commercial client mid season to clear a lot. I did this with my ATV and I said I would have a blade or stop plowing this season.

My truck is a 2006 F350 Quad Cab Long bed FX4 4x4 diesel. Which is a big truck to plow with. I've been looking around and located a 1990 Ford super duty tandem axle with a western blade. It was an old city truck and has 31,000 on the clock.

My question..... Will I be wasting my time by not having 4x4? It has a dump spreader bed. I know I will get the do your search and read other thread comments. zbut I want a specific view from you on my case.

I'm planning on goign tomorrow and looking. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Why not just get a plow for the truck you already have?

3. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Most of my customers are residentials. For me to back drag from house/garage to where I could back in I would about have to back grag the whole drive. My truck is pretty long then throwing a plow on it will make it longer. I am thinking a smaller truck would be easier and more efficient. I could utilize the dump bed for mulch in the summer too.

4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

By not having 4 wheel drive you would have to load the bed with a lot of salt or another type of ballast. I had a ford about 6 years ago and the 4 wheel drive went out,I had a hell of a time getting around in 2 wheel. My opinion go for a 4x4, good luck.

5. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

The lack of 4x4 is my concern. I am curious how the tandems will do if I get a load of sand or something else. Was your truck 6 wheeled or 4 wheeled?

6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

4 wheel just an f 250. I see a lot of guys that plow residentials use a jeeps just a thought for you

7. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

To clarify I'm looking at a single axle dual rear wheel old city plow truck.
    I could really use some input....

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my input for you. Can it be done, the answer is yes. Plowing with a 2 wheel drive dump truck will work. Now for the details, lol. I don't know what part of Ohio your in, but if your in the flat lands, then that will be better. If your in the hills, you are going to struggle. The only traction you will get will be from the weight of the load your going to carry. Being that this will be the only plow truck you have out in each storm, I wouldn't plow with it. If your going to have several trucks out, and this would be your only 2 wheel drive truck, then I would do it. When this truck gets stuck, and it will get stuck your going to need someone to pull you out. The last big problem I see is using a dump truck on resi's is going to be just as tight, if not worse then using your current truck. Any way you look at it, your going to have to backdrag 80% of your drives at some point, so why not just backdrag them all. I have been plowing for 18 years now, and I would rather backdrag the whole drive and push the snow up in the yard at the sidewalk, then to try and plow all my drives with a 2 wheel drive dump truck. Good luck in your venture.

9. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok i just got rid of my isuzu NPR dump truck 2500.... It was a dump and rear wheel drive with duallys
    It was hard to plow with...... empty we had no chance. Without spinning the tires out... But with a load of salt we were...OK. But you just gotta know what you're doing. if i were you i would plow drives with your 4x4 and get some SMALL commercial lots for that dump.... Personally we never use our dump truck on driveways. But our 4500 Does a couple straight drives! Thats only because these drives are long and hilly. They shouldnt even be called driveways they're streets!

10. weeble67

weeble67 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks guys, that is about what I was expecting to hear. Thanks for the help, hearing it from those with experience really helps. I guess I will pass on this deal. I need to decide then if I'm plowing and back dragging lots with my truck or if I'm looking for a small plow truck.

11. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

4x4 is so nice! Sometimes I have no clue how I would climb some of these Pennsylvania hills. Even on flat lands i love passing stuck people or even when plowing driveways i can notice a large difference pushing if I am in 2 wheel then when I kick it into 4x4 it is a beast. You could probably find a 4x4 truck for a few $1000s with a plow already on it. Search craigslist and just keep your eye out! Every once and a while something decent will come along.

12. JD822

JD822 Member

If your worried about having to turn aaround, look into a rear pull plow. many guys use the Ebling. Sno Kontrol also make one. They are expandable (winged) pull plows that go as wide as 16 ft. You back into the drive, drop the blades, and drive out.

13. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Why not find a Ford Ranger and stick a Snow Dogg on it for drive ways and use the F350 and a bigger plow for the larger lot? You can usually find older Rangers pretty cheap and parts are plentiful and rather inexpensive compared to the care and feeding of tandem dump truck. This is coming from someone that has a fleet of 13 4300 series International flat dumps and 7 Ford L9000 Boom Trucks and every month when I look at the repair and fuel costs I want to cry.