1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on plow purchase.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by timtpa, Oct 26, 2008.

1. timtpa

timtpa Member

I currently have a lawn care business and have approx. 40 residential and 2 smaller apartment complexes that I service. I have always subbed these out or helped a friend because I didn't have a plow. Every year I try to budget $ for a plow,but it never happens.

I have a '98 GMC 2500 to use as my truck, but still no plow! I am looking at a used (4 yrs old)Snow Way MT series in a 6'8" and a older Snow Way 24 series (6 or 7 yrs old) 7'6". The MT is in much better shape, but maybe a little small.

I have about $2500 to part with right now. Any input is appreciated! Thanks

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the 6 1/2 is to small. How can you not sell 5 or 6 contracts and buy a plow?

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I can tell you one thing for sure...that 6'8" is way too small. I even think 7'6" plows are too small for commercial plowing but there are a lot of people who run them.

$2500 is a decent amount to pay for a used plow. You should be able to find something nice on Craig's List or Ebay. Try to get something that fits your truck because you don't want to buy a plow then look for a mount and harness...the cash you'd spend adds up quick.

4. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

like the others have said, those 2 plows are too small. I think that you need a least an 8' to clear you wheel base. JMO
    you should be able to find a used plow in good shape with the money you are looking to spend