1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on New Snowblower

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jweiner, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jweiner

jweiner Junior Member

I recently sold my old Honda 20" Track Drive snowblower (hs522) because we moved into a house with a much larger driveway and the 20" model took too long to clear the snow. I also was not a big fan of the mower as it had the older track drive system and was difficult to manuever.

I want to purchase a machine with a good engine (i.e. Honda, Subaru, etc.). It looks like Honda makes a 28" model (HS928WA) with tires. All of Honda's bigger models have the track drive (which I prefer to avoid). Ariens also has a Delux 30 model that has a Subaru engine. I was hoping that Ariens would have put a Subaru engine on the Delux Platinum line for this Fall, but no such luck. Between Honda and Ariens, which is a better machine? Let's assume money is not an object. I just want a good (larger) unit that will last "forever," Are there any other models worth considering? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's like asking if a Mercedes is better than a Yugo. Honda blowers are by far superior to anything Ariens makes. I've owned both so I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Get a HS928 and you'll be set for the next 10 years.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Or, You could just hire me to plow for you...
  4. EastCoast

EastCoast Junior Member

I ordered my Honda HS928TA in July.

I just sold by Ariens 624e.... good machine for the last six years.... but EOD always had issues with snow removal.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  5. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

well i would go with the 4 wheeler and plow. you can plow people in your hood and make money and you can also plow yours and make big mass snow piles. also then you can have fun all year round with it. and there is more options than just a plow you can use it for a lot of stuff
  6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Honda outdoor power equipment always amazes me. Great smooth motors, quality components, and they always seem quieter than any other.
  7. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

id vote for the ariens based purely off of nostalgia, i mean who doesnt remember watching dad with the simplicity, ariens, or gilson out at night snowblowing the driveway saying,,,keep it slow so its nice clean job......,,,but im like that.

Whether its made in America or not,,honda just doesnt do that for me.