1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on new set up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by weasel11, Dec 2, 2011.

1. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Hello...I would like all opinions on which of these set ups would be the best,,,,,,for the following type accts....
    The truck is a Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty 5.7 Hemi 2007 20K miles Crew Cab.

The accts will be Convenience Stores(Not Truck Stops) all average to small lots, Banks(small to medium lots), Assisted Livings all small lots, only have about 5 other accts that have BIG lots (50K-100K sq ft).

Equipment considering is as follows:
    Meyer Lot Pro either 8' or 8'6" or 9'
    Meyer Super V 8'6"
    Wings?
    Snow deflector?

Things to consider is tight areas like drive thrus, gas pumps, dumpster areas, etc
    Lots have a lot of foot traffic so they need to be clean(no trails)

To give an idea I have 1/2 tons now with 7'6" Meyer Lot Pro and this set up works great....quick and maneuverable...

I have this Dodge and you can tell it nevers gets driven only 20K miles.....I plowed one year in a F350 with a 8'6" Meyer and it was hard as hell looking over my shoulder all the time and turning radius. Looking to avoid some of that on this one....it turns better for one thing, and the rear seats don't obstruct my view as bad as the F350

Snow is never that much 4"-8"

Thanks I know this was long...also
    Meyer Lot Pro 8' $4900 Complete or 8"6" special is $5200 Complete
    Meyer Super V 8'6" is $6200 Complete

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow with a seasonal contract!

3. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Wasn't an option

Boss wasn't an option.....thanks anyway.
    Are you saying a V over a straight board with wings?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Vee with wings will be fastest and most versatile. Is Meyer your only choice?

If you are turning your head to backup, you are going to be some sore when you are done. Try those mirrors on the doors.

5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Get out he 25' tape measure and see what you can do for a plow.

6. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Thx so far

First thx for the ideas so far.
    2COR517
    So how well does the wings work on the V plow? What we do now is pull along sidewalk with the blade as close as possible(touching) and plow with the blade at an angle as to make sure pedestrians don't step off curb onto the snow. I thought the wings were not steel along the cutting edge and therefore may not do as well. I guess I thought the V design would eliminate the need for wings....do they trip with blade?

Yes, Meyer is the only dealer within 2 hours....Also, I have NEVER had anything tear up or break down period with any of my Meyer set up. They service it and all parts are original. Guess I'm kinda fortunate. However, those expandable wing plows look nice.

As for having to turn and look over shoulder.....all I can say is stupid people......big truck, back up siren, strobe lights, flashing Whelen bar, hazards on, and people will still walk directly in my way.

jklawn/plow
    I'm confused about what you meant.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

get a fisher xls plow

8. weasel11

weasel11 Member
    from 5

Thanks but....

Meyer is the ONLY plow set up that I'm inquiring about......and it's not so much brand as it is style and function for the types of accts that I have to plow....I've never used wings or a V plow and was wanting those of you that have them both or used them both to weigh in with the pros and cons of each...

Like I had mentioned the Meyer Dealer is the only dealer period within 2 hours and they are just minutes from me.....I have never had anything tear up or break down or even had to replace a single part since I bought them new....not a seal or hose and even the salt spreader has never had a issue....that's good right......regardless of brand the best snow plow is the one you can get parts and service for that is what I was told by someone on here.

I've never been a one brand person as of now I have 8 brands of trucks that we use. They all are pretty reliable,but there is someone that can work on them on every corner if they do tear up.

Thanks to all