1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Jeep Plow vehicle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Sep 10, 2003.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

My plowing experience was over 35 years ago when I owned a 1959 CJ5 with a myers plow. The plow was manual angle, and the up and down function was controlled by a rod through the dash to a belt driven pump. With chains on all fours, that 4 cylinder could really push a lot of snow. I made a bunch of money with that old rig while in high school.

I live in NC now, and hold a full time "real" job as well as run a part time landscape maintenance business. We have started to get 1 or 2 decent snows a year the last few years, and not many folks are equiped to plow.

My question: I would like to purchase an older jeep to plow. Since use would be limited I don't want to put a lot of money in a rig. I am looking for suggestions for best setup. What year and model of jeeps are best suited, what engine, auto or manual tranny, what plow etc., and what should be the least amount of money I could spend to get set up to plow residential drives for no more than a couple snows a year.

Thanks for any input.
  2. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

westbrooklawn ,I have a 1975 Jeep CJ-5 with a meyers 6.5 ' plow it is a great little plow truck for small areas and many people are suprised how good it pushes snow.It has a 258 6 cyl engine with a 3 speed transmission.There is still alot of old Cjs around you can get cheap .
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any good old used Jeep would work well.6 cyl auto would be the best.A manual trans will work too,if you don't mind putting clutches in it,and the shifting.A 4 cyl will plow well too if you run it in low range all the time.

Finding a truck with a plow on it would make it easier,but it may be beat up due to plowing.I think the belt driven hydraulics are the way to go.Dependable,reliable,and low maintenance.They are also easier on the charging system.

I'd also do a search on Jeeps,as there has been quite a bit of discussion on them.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:) Hey westbrooklawn I think a Jeep is a great way to go. I'm really a Ford guy but I gotta say my Wife's Grand Cherokee is an awesome snow vehicle. I wanted to hang a plow on it but you can't because it's unibody. A real shame because I think it drives better in snow than dry. When I told my wife my thoughts she said," Do you have to ruin EVERY vehicle we have?!!!". She just doesn't get it! :confused:
  5. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

Just bringing it to the top again. How about Cherokees (they seem to be more plentiful in my area than CJs), and what years would be best. From my search efforts it appears the newer ones are not built strong enough.

Don't want to be a pest on this issue, but I know there is a LOT of expertise on this site who could help me out and save me time.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The older Cherokee classic style will carry a plow OK.Do a search on them,it has ben discussed before.
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Lots of folks around here us Cherokees. We had an old Comanche (Cherokee pickup) that was a great plow truck. 6.5 western worked great. A little weight in the back and it was almost unstoppable. We even had the old 2.8 L "Chevy" V6 engine and the auto trans. Put a big tranny cooler on it and it works fine.
    Let us know what you get...

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Cherokee takes a plow but not a Grand Cherokee yet we have 97-01's at work and it looks uni-body. Why not on a Grand Cherokee then?
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Cherokee Classic is still a uni-body,but is pretty beefy.

I think the biggest problems with the Grand Cherokee's is the front section is just way to thin where the plow would mount,and all the built in crumple zones,which are meant to collapse in the event of a frontal impact,make it weaker still.They are two totally different trucks.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You are right about them being two different trucks. I had a Bronco II that I planned on replacing with an Explorer. I couldn't get used to the Explorer so I sold it and kept the Bronco II. The Grand Cherokee is great in the snow but rides so nice. :cool: