1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on hiring a plow driver??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Koehler59, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Koehler59

Koehler59 Junior Member
    from 60468

So got the chance to buy another plow truck for cheap. Im a subcontractor, have plenty of work (if it would keep snowing) and could keep a second truck busy too. My question, is it worth the hassle of dealing with an employee? Such as worrying if he's not beating the equipment, workmens comp, availability, hitting anything, extra insurance? Any advice would be appreciated
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Best advice when you Find a guy look at his truck see how he treats it

If you want to grow you will have to deal with employee's
  3. JAJA

JAJA Member

Can tell a lot by a persons vehicle
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The only way it's worth it IMO, is if the guy or gal will show up 100% of the time. If you can find someone that you absolutely trust to be reliable( this is almost impossible to determine BTW ), then it's worth it. Those types of people are very rare these days, with regards to snow removal positions. Trust me when I tell you that your life will instantly become much more stressful when you hire employees. Ask yourself: "Who will plow the accounts you have for this extra truck if this person doesn't show for whatever reason?" If you have an answer for that, then hire someone. If not, then stick with what you can do by yourself.
  5. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Answer this for us what kind of operator have you set out to be, at some point you have to make a choice if you chose to be an employer it will have certain issues.
    do not offer top dollar to someone that has not worked for you before, last year was my first with real employees and i quickly saw while one guy could get in and start the machine and push some snow, the next guy was every bit as good as me and could move a pile hard to justify same pay for both guys.
    go for a ride along with any new guy it is an investment in your growth there will be problems but in the end thus far it has been worth it.
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Huh? Am I alone in having a problem understanding this?
  7. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

The employee question is one that must be answered by you, with an eye on where you are headed with your business. At some point, it is inevitable that you cannot do everything by yourself, and therefor need employees. If you have a plan, and have decided the time is right to grow, do it and don't look back. If you don't have a plan, take time to think about it and then make the decision. It is never easy, but then again, if it was everyone else would be doing the same thing!
  8. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

nope I get what he saying.
  9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Find a friend who wants to make part time money... Offer $20 hour he will bite.

Or hit the old C. List and role the dice
  10. GM Landscape

GM Landscape Junior Member

Family and friends have worked out the best for us.We let them drive the truck around before the snow then ride with him\her on first snowfall. All 3 understand our business goals and philosophy before we hire.
  11. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Sorry Sawboy maybe I should have put it in bullet point.
    He has to figure out what kind of operation he wants, I want employees and I have one out working now and another starting with another machine later this evening.
    The other point are some observations hiring and letting go of some folks, not everyone can do this.
  12. Sawboy

Thanks. Much better with punctuation. I'm old and can't read the run on sentence thing ;)
  13. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

1960's vintage or earlier?
  14. Sawboy

Late 71 Model. Pre smog emissions
  15. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

If you are only looking for one employee, be picky as heck and don't be afraid to be brutally honest communicating your expectations - and don't be afraid to ask hard questions. And don't let them pull on your heart strings about how much they are in dept or need the money. Trust your gut.

You are looking for someone better than yourself - keep that your goal and hire only that person, or as close to that as you can.
  16. jerpa

jerpa Member

I would agree with this, as long as you are willing to pay what it takes to keep this person. Expecting that of a $18/hr seasonal and part-time employee is going to lead to disappointment.
  17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've done this myself over the last 25 yrs.Kind of tough to hire someone for for 5 to 15 snow events we get.Not much of a plus for the hire,be on call 24hrs a day for the whole season for a couple thousand bucks.I use friends also who are self employed contractors that like to play in the snow and have a little fun.
  18. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make sure he understands your methodology. explain how you want things done, how to use equipment efficiently without abusing it...what the customer expects

agree in the beginning that if you or he is not happy with the rules and expectations, then you will part ways with no hard feelings