1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on equipment needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kl0an, Apr 10, 2004.

1. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Hello,

I've recently come across an '85 Case 580E with only 2700 actual hours on it. The tractor is in great condition. It also comes with a drive on trailer and an old '75 IH 10 wheel dump that will tow it all over. The dump is in really good shape, tires and all.. The guy is asking $30K for all of it.. I live in Alaska and I could use both pieces of equipment for snow removal in the Winter and septic tanks or landscaping in the Summer.

Does anyone think this is a good deal? The truck has rarely been used the last 3 years and the backhoe has only been plowing the guys drive for the last 3 years.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Please drop me an e-mail.

Paul

2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

well, you can buy the backhoe down here for 15-20k and the truck is probably worth 2500 tops and a new trailer can be had for 4 to 5000.

3. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

just checked ritchie bros website and an 85 580e with extendahoes are 6500 to 15000 tops so i would say he is about 7500 too high. unless he has some work lined up for it it might be worth a premium. rob

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

The price is a little high even for up here. Does it come with any work? Considering the freight to get another one sent up and you going down to check it out it might not be that bad. See if you can take it for a weekend and play with it. if all seems in good shape then who cares how old it is. usually here in Alaska we buy toys and run them into the ground instead of thinking about resale. With work you should be able to repay that in 4 or 5 months.

Dwan

5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Thanks a bunch for the replies. I've still got some thinkin to do on this one for sure. A friend of mine in Chitina owns a front end loader and I was thinking about doing some remote village work in conjunction with him during the Summers.

Dwan, where are you located??

Good to see another Alaskan here on the board.

Paul Jordan
    Anchorage, AK

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member