1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on equipment choices

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BusterBludvesel, Dec 16, 2015.

1. BusterBludvesel

BusterBludvesel Junior Member

Hello for a relative newbie.
    We have a small ranch at the end of a half mile road, few residences and couple of business's with parking lots. As the title states the county is no longer coming our way [grass cutting neither] I have been asked by many of the locals if I would take on the task. Before I give a decision I thought to ask those with experience what my choices are re equipment etc.
    I have two vehicles..Suburbans, 1994 1500 and a 1995 2500 [454].
    Area is Colorado with often heavy quick snowfall [yesterday a foot in 6hrs]
    I will not be looking to move into the business as such, yet half a mile of road plus a few driveway's and maybe 50 car space lots x 2 looks quite some to me.
    Not sure if new is needed so maybe used units of say medium duty rigging could be best way to proceed..But advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance for any heads up and thoughts.
  2. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

Welcome to the forum. Please ignore the obnoxious responses you are likely to get soon. Sorry to hear the county has abandoned you.

First, check your local statutes and ordinances. It may not be lawful for you to plow a county road. I'm not saying you shouldn't plow it, but be prepared for the potential consequences.

Second, if you are going to be doing properties that belong to other people, you would be wise to get General Liability insurance. It does not matter of the lots belong to family or friends. The people who patronize those businesses may not hesitate to sue YOU if they slip/trip/fall.

Third, for equipment, there is nothing wrong with used gear. If you are going to use one of the 'Burbs, use the 2500. Since you have such a long stretch of road, and heavy snows, I would recommend a V-plow. I would not want to rely on a straight blade in your situation. Your 2500 'Burb may not be beefy enough for a v-plow, however. IF you can even find a used one, you would likely need to upgrade the leaf springs.

Since you are on a ranch, how big of a tractor do you have? A snow blower on the back of your tractor may be the ticket.

Others will chime in, and some of them will make good points.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Here's your first obnoxious response..... You location/county will help when it comes to recommending equipment.
    I'd use the 2500 for plowing, you'll probably have to crank up the torsion bars on the frontend to compensate for the weight of the plow.
    Will you have to spread any de-icer or sand in the parking lots?

1, I use to plow roads in HOA's that Larimer County didn't maintain, it was the responsibility of the HOA. But do check into it to cover your butt.

2, You want to carry a $1m G/l policy, create a LLC to help protect yourself and assets.

3, When buying used try to find a plow that comes with a wiring, controller and mount that will bolt up to your vehicle. Most new mounts will run about $500<>, wiring $250<> and controllers $250<>.
    Check the pivot points on the plow to play and functionally (does it bind up). If the plow is under power run it. Check cylinders for pitting and leaks. Inspect hoses and fittings. Look for rust along the bottom of the moldboard. Check the headgear, "A" frame and moldboard for repairs, cracks and for straightness.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I know a few guys that use suburbans, and Vee plows
    The 3/4 ton will be more suited to the job.

Get a 9ft v plow and plow during the storm as nessary so there isn't to much acclumanation to move at one time...

Only plow your road untill you get a llc( there cheep to set up)
    And the proper insurance.

Let them get their own plow unless you have the time and want to take on responsibelity of servicing others drives or lots when you would rather be with family or sleeping.
  5. BusterBludvesel

BusterBludvesel Junior Member

Firstly I'm quite taken-aback by the prompt and info laden responses, Unusual for couldn't care less culture we all seem a victim of these days.
    I shall today make inroads re the valued advice and points made, most are common sense but as a 'first timer' not something that immediately comes to mind. And thinking on one of those I'm pretty sure the domestic driveways will be given a wide berth..Friends are friends til you need something as they say.

First stop will be as advised..the county regs etc...Too many battles to fight there makes the makes for a pointless exercise.

Many thanks again to all who posted....Valued.
  6. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

I wouldn't consider anything you said to be obnoxious.
  7. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

He was referring to your's. Op, you and your neighbors may just want to pay a pro to do all of your stuff together and get a package deal. By the time you buy a proper set-up for your Suburban, and get insurance, how long would it take you to recoup your investment? Do you intend to run it as a business for profit? If so, think about all those sleepless nights, missed Holidays, suppers etc... Not saying you should definitely go this way, but it's an option for you to consider. There's a lot of headaches running a business like this, and sometimes, in some situations, it's just not worth it.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'm confused.

If the county is no longer plowing, why would it be illegal for him to plow his road?

I live on a quarter mile long cul-de-sac, if we didn't plow it, it would hours or days before it was plowed. No idea if it's legal or illegal and honestly, I don't care. My neighbors all appreciate it. Pretty sure I won't be getting a ticket for doing something good.

Anyways, some good advice so far. You need to watch the guys from Poop Scoop and Wapiti, they're troublemakers.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

HJ I was being sarcastic and wasn't ditzing on IB. There's only a few Koloradians on here and it's good to see more.Thumbs Up

Pffffffft....... Like you have a lot of room to speak......