1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on E-46 repair

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by logfarmer, Dec 17, 2008.

1. logfarmer

logfarmer Junior Member

Hi All,
    My E46 was leaking fluid so I got a 15456 Master seal kit from Mill Supply for $28.12 and took the pump apart with help from the service manual.It was actually leaking from the pump assembly when I got it apart. There are two drain holes on opposite sides of the chamber of the assembly where the motor shaft connects to the pump. After taking the the pump apart it looks like the shaft of the pump is pitted at the pump shaft seal, just below where it connects to the motor shaft. It looks like the seal, part # 15581 can be replaced.
    This pump has only one filter port at the bottom of the base next to the drain plug and had no casting of the year inside the base by the strainer. Just the logo in an oval, IMP. There was no plastic baffle in the base and strainer assembly.
    1. The baffle shows on the parts diagram but would this pump have had one?
    2. If the pump shaft is pitted will this work to replace the seal?
    3. If not is the pump shaft with the gear on it available as a part? ( I couldn't find it on a parts diagram). Or will it be necessary to buy the pump assembly? If so does anyone have experience with non OEM pump assemblies? They are half the cost of the Meyers units.
    Speaking of getting what you pay for the master seal kit from mill supply did not include the brass wiper for the top cap. There was a wiper like a car axle bearing seal but no brass wiper for the very top of the cap like was on it before I took it apart.
    4. Is this normally included or must it be purchased separately?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Martin

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

By your description your running a very old pump. Likely 70's vintage or earlier..and many of those old pumps didn't have the plastic baffle. It isn't critical that it's not there but you can install it if you want.

No, if the shaft is pitted you need to replace the pump assembly or it will tear the new seal up in short order. You'll then be right back where you started, namely a leaking pump. If the pump is original its also likely that the gears and bushing are well worn also which will also make it nearly impossible for the seal to do its job.

No internal pump parts are available separately, you'll need to replace the entire gear pump as a unit.

If your simply plowing your own driveway an aftermarket pump will last a while. If your using it for any kind of commercial use stay away from the aftermarket pumps, you truly do get what you pay for in this instance.

The brass wipers were common place on the old pumps but have long been phased out for the rubber/metal clad wipers. You can leave the brass one in if it's in excellent condition, otherwise update it to the rubber/metal clad.

3. logfarmer

logfarmer Junior Member

Thanks very much for the information. I am just plowing my own drive way but it is about a half a mile long so it would be best to get the OEM pump assembly as you say you get what you pay for.
    Martin