1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice on clearing off top of 53 ft semi trailers (snow)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ERICS LAWN CARE, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ERICS LAWN CARE

ERICS LAWN CARE Member

wondering if anyone has experience clearing off the tops of 53 ft semi trailers of snow. apparently leaving it is a violation as it can fly off and cause visibilty problems for other drivers. and if you have an estimate for time doing it and price.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Don't fall off....lmao

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Used to do a shipping hub and they had a pull through adjustable "roof cleaner" Maybe you could google it and sell that to them, save them money in the long run and you save workers comp claims........

4. ERICS LAWN CARE

ERICS LAWN CARE Member

ok i will check thanks; i know i dont want a workmans comp case; we were thinking about making a broom for our backhoe attachment. cant stand on the roofs--roof is fiberglass

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Drive under highway over pass......;)

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

thats a tuff one, you may have a idea with the backhoe, but you could be looking at a big mess too, one mistake and boom, i like the idea of a broom on a boom, (that sounds too poetic), at least a boom is a lot easier to control and more percise.

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

check this...

http://www.jdtrailerprotection.com/demo

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Something along the lines of that Rooster 1 is the only way to clean a trailer roof off.

OSHA laws restrict you from being on the trailer without a tie off, to use an attachment of a pice of equipment you have to have someone who can operate it there all day and theres no way i would let someone i dont know try and scape off the roof of one of my trailers with a piece of heavy equipment before i have you sign a waiver assuming liability for equipment and load damage.

9. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Read the thread and had a product idea... too late since this rooster is what I was thinking.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

12. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

What if they parked the trailers real close together and built a large ramp? Then you could plow the snow off while driving on the trailers.:laughing::laughing::jester:

13. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I love how fast the taxi driver went over to see if the driver was alright.

14. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

The metal in the top of trailers is not much, the only other option would be a lift and a air hose to blow the snow off. If you do that, you might have to get a camper trailer so you can move on site.

15. ERICS LAWN CARE

ERICS LAWN CARE Member

thanks for the reply i like the rooster 1 idea but company might not want to pay for it; and i dont really want anyone to get hurt!

16. ERICS LAWN CARE

ERICS LAWN CARE Member

maybe i could hook a salamander to bucket of the back hoe. lol

17. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

one of my accounts has the rooster 1 thing it is awsome.

18. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Leave it to the Canadians to come up with something like that. I've seen a few of those around and now I know what those frames are for cool..

But still lots of trailers here with snow on the roofs never mind the soccer/hockey moms in the mini vans with all the snow on the roof and just a lilt section of the front window cleared.tymusic

19. ARW

ARW Junior Member
    from Indiana

Simple solution

Read Slowly...

A

Garage......

Heated.............
    sorry could not stop.

20. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Always a fun task. My current work truck is a Ford E-450 17' box truck. For light fluffy stuff, i use a push broom and 12' ladder. Keep moving ladder a few feet at a time on each side. Heavy stuff, 12' extenda pick across roof. And shovel where you can reach. Then hop on ladder. And move pick back. shovel again etc.

Well it's not the safest way, but beats big fines in PA for leaving it up there and getting pulled over.