1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice on buying tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shaunfromjersey, Oct 18, 2004.

1. shaunfromjersey

shaunfromjersey Junior Member

I own a 98 jeep cherokee sport. I am about to buy new tires for my jeep. i was wondering how essential tires are to plowing. Can I get away with buying just a normal pair of all season radials for less money, or should I go all out and get some serious tires. I will be doing a good amount of driving besides from just plowing so I was leaning away from strictly snow tires, but if thats what I need then so be it. What do you guys think? thanks- Shaun
    I live in northern nj so i dont think i will see as deep of snow as some of you guys depending on where you live

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

Shaun, IMO tires are very important for plowing. Both to keep your Jeep from sliding into something or someone & to prevent you from getting stuck. But your probably concerned with getting enough mileage out of a winter tire because of the softer compound. I just went thru the tire buying procedure, and I went for a really good winter tire knowing that I will have to take them off after winter. I've had bad tires on a truck before and it's no fun sliding around like you have ski's on for tires. You don't have to get all snow tires, but I would get a good all season that handles well in snow at least.
    I bought Nokian Tires > the Hakkapeliitta 10 LT . www.nokiantires.com Check them out. The other model I almost bought is good all year long(summer use) and it is suppose to handle very well in snow. The Nokian Vatiiva All-Purpose.
    Good Luck!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say tires are about THE most important part of a snowplow truck. Right up there, if not ahead, of being 4wd. If you're doing any serious plowing, get a set of M&S tires. One tow will make up the price difference.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I run and prefer to use a mud type tire. One with an aggressive side lug and a not to open center and then have them siped , in the center only. This combo has worked very well for me. Also consider a traction type rear diff. for your truck.Even a limited slip one will greatly improve the plowing capability of the truck. Which will alow you to use a less than perfect tire type.

5. poorpapa

poorpapa Junior Member

Not pleased with my BFG AT

I put a set of BGF AT on this year and wasnt impressed a bit they pack full of snow and arnt worth a dime after that I had a set of cooper on last year and they did great rode hard but didnt pack full of snow like the bfgs :cry:

6. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

How essential are tires to driving any vehicle (one that has tires that is)? :eek:

7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I bought myself a set of M&S tires. They are night and day difference between your "all terrain" tires. If you can afford it I would highly recommend having two sets of tires. One for plowing and one for whatever else you do. I have a lawn/landscape/plowing business. I bought a good pair of M&S tires and threw them onplain old steel rims. If you wanted to save even more money you could buy used rims from the local junk yards. Anyway, I have trailering tires I put on the stock rims for hauling my dump trailer and enclosed trailer around in. Talk about extending the life of your tires! The initial cost was kinda high but I'm running on the M&S tires going on my 3rd season and you'd think they were brand spankin new.

8. homey1

homey1 Member

Are cheap M&S tires better than expensive All seasons? Any brand recommendations for my truck? I like to run 285/75-16's

9. spacolee

spacolee Member
    from canada

I have BFG and like them I do allot of hunting and plowing and the BFG are the ones I like when I go hunting there is allot of places that I go that other people can't. I am a Ford lover but its really in the tires.

10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have never heard a complaint about COOPER Discover and I have had a set running for 6 seasons plowing. The old Firestone town and country if you could still find them.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hands down - Cooper Discoverer M&S. Fourth season coming up on my set and hardly any wear. But they are hardly driven on anything but snow & ice and come off by April 1st. Studded and they are practically unstoppable.

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

check out the mt's by toyo they looked pretty cool

13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

14. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I got a Wrangler and I put on BF Goodrich KO's . Very good tires and are good the rest of the year, not loud in highway and handle great. Better than the stock Good Year wranglers that the jeep came with. Although I think the GoodYears last longer.

15. intlco

intlco Senior Member

I got a set of BFG Comm Traction TA's last year and their great! They also are severe snow rated. I drove them out here in the snow packed mtns and had no problems.

16. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Best tire and load E

I too have been trying to figure out what tire to go with on my Ram. Stock all-seasons just don't cut it. My biggest problem was the Ram has 17" rims. I looked at every brand I could think of but kept running into: National Back-Order, Don't make that size, Not luggy enough, Too expensive ($250+), Not in Load Range E. The load range is important because with plow and salter you're carrying around 1500lbs, put that on a load c tire and start spinning, you might blow-out.

Than I came across Coopers web site. They make lots of big tires in load E, and are in-stock! and are not super expensive. I even got a web response and phone call from the main headquarters seeing if I needed more info within 1 day.

The Discover STT is a luggy tire that will look great on the jeep and for the amount of snow it should be a good choice. I however went with the Discover M+S, It's a snow tire with lots of siping for icy conditions. I paid $179 per tire for LT265/70R/17E's.

I'll post pictures of them on my truck Wednesday night after they get put on.

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

My brothers 98 cherokee sport has BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A tires, i plowed a few driveways (6" of snow) with it on saturday and they passed my test, not optimal for plowing but thats whats on their, i won't change them until i feel the need. The cherokee plowed well to my suprise, i used my F-150 for most of the storm so i need to use it more to get a real good sense of how it does. You need to make all kinds of upgrades though especially if you don't have the tow package. You will need an auxillary transmission cooler, at least a 100 AMP alternator and some modifications to the front end to help with the weight of the plow, also some weight in the rear, i used 350 LBS this past storm in my cherokee.

18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if you are on a buget you can go to wallmart and get a good set of liberator all terrain tires for <$300 on the rim/ out the door ($65 each) they are what I run on my truck and like them, good in the rain, hub deep muddy goo and I am sure they will be good in the snow

[​IMG]

19. bnc services 2

bnc services 2 Member

i THINK TIRES ARE MOST IMPORTANT I HAVE A 95 TAHOE AND RAN NOTHING BUT BFG M/T 'S FOR ME AND THE GUYS THAT PLOW WITH ME WE ALL LOVE THEM I THINK THERE WORTH THE MONEY AND THEN SOME P.S. I ROLL ON THEM ALL YEAR ROUND AND GET ABOUT 40K OUT OF THEM GOOD LUCK

20. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

As mentioned in "alot" of previous post's ( search tires ) there is alot of talk about COOPER tires. I was in need of replacing tires this year ( 49,000 on GY wranglers ) but was not at all impressed with the wranglers. So.... I started my information gathering quest. 1st make sure you get a tire to carry the load on the truck ie: plow(in front) maybe salter box in back etc. Load range -C- tires are for passengers only NO load. SO...load range -E- is what your looking for. These are typically found on LT style tires and have a larger ply rating...also look for either AW(all weather) or MS(mud snow) tires. Bottom line here is for snowplowing you will need an LT tire with good clean out lugs both center tread and sidewall.