1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on buying an 88 F350 w/Fischer

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bnrhuffman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Heres what it is.
    1988 F350 dually 4X4, 28000 miles, 460 EFI gas w/ 5spd, 8ft contractors dump bed, 8ft Fischer w/underhood hydro pump and foil.
    The body and dump are in great shape. paint is faded but no external rust, some rust around one body mount that may eventually need attention, Everything works, the plow pump leaks alittle, tires are about 80%, drives and runs well, smokes a little on startup after sitting but none while driving, shifts good, seat is rough but the rest of interior is good, CarFax comes back good. I dont want an automatic and am not worried about gas mileage. I will use the dump bed.
    The current owner is the second and has had it for 6 months and used it, he got it for a specific reason and no longer needs it, he has had to do nothing mehanical to the truck, just maintenance.
    Is this thing worth $10000? Seems like alot for an 88 but it does have really low miles, actually, suspiciously low.

ebay dumptruck.jpg
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

There are some trucks out there with low mileage. I recently went to a city school auction where to auctioned off a a conversion "van" on a 1 ton Ford chassis (a small mobile testing center/classroom) and it was a 93 and had only 1300 miles on it so they do exist. Based on appearance of truck and plow and lack of rust it has likely seen very little use and may well be legit. You are getting a better truck with less to go wrong with it than you will with a newer one costing several times more. Personally I do not think price is that unreasonable because it is a rare find and is very good shape. (how often do you run accross one like that?)
  3. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

You might wanna try going to motor vehicles and looking at the mileage of the vehicle when he bought it, that might help with the truth of the low mileage.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I am not a Ford man but I would be temped to buy it if it was around here.
  5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Even with 128k on it it would be worth it, offer him 9500
  6. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

The truck was on Ebay. I didnt get a chance to look at it in person but the guy sent me a bunch of pics. The mileage is true. I did a CarFax and it is OK. He sent me pictures of the worst rust spots. The underside of the cab seems to have some isues around the body mounts but nothing that cant be fixed. Other than that, it is what it appears to be. He had a Buy it now price of 10900 on Ebay. I was high bidder with 9900 and still didnt meet his reserve.
    Its still for sale in NY.If anyone wants it, Ive got his phone #.
  7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I was looking at that truck on ebay, and I think it is a great deal, For a 88 with that low of miles, and in that condition, I dont think that it can be beat. I would buy it in a heart beat if i had that kind of cash.