1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on buying a Backhoe

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by skywalker, Feb 9, 2011.

1. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

Were looking at getting a backhoe for snow removal and digging in the summer, have never looked into one

what should i look for brand wise and hour wise. used is our budget. can i get something for 20, 000.00 or am i kidding myself
  2. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Rubber tired???
  3. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

Rubber tires
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,for $20K,you can get a very nice rig.I run Deere and only have used them for the last 28 years,so I'm biased some but anyway,I would look for a 310,410,or 510----B,C,D,MAYBE EVEN AN E you can find in your range.Best thing you can do as you sound a little mechanically challenged[please don't take offense] is to hire a heavy equipment mechanic to thoroughly go over your choice before you buy.I wouldn't get anything with more than 5K hours on her unless you get a THOROUGH description all written down in the owner's manual of ALL the PM and repairs with dates and hour readings. Good luck.
  5. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

hows Case Stack up
  6. tuney443

If you want the best of all worlds--Deere If you want fast,fast,and faster,don't need ''grunt'' type power in tough digging,installing septics mostly,buy the Case [Can't afford something else].The newer ones are better,granted,but Deere is still top doggy.
  7. Pitt4212

Pitt4212 Junior Member

Actually JCB backhoes are the best backhoe out there and they sell the most backhoes WORLDWIDE and thats a fact! :)
  8. W.F.D. Plower

W.F.D. Plower Member

I would definitly get oil samples done on the machine. That will tell you everything you need to know about a machine before you buy one.
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

How are you going to transport this new machine from job to job ?
  10. tuney443

According to what standard are they ''the best backhoe out there''? How many large jobs have you been on where you would see a fleet of JCB hoes? You haven't and most likely won't as they're not ''large contractor oriented'' with their poor parts distribution system.Selling the most doesn't really mean squat.Case used to outsell Deere also because of price,but they really can't hold a candle to Deere or Cat for that matter.
  11. skywalker

skywalker Member
    from NW PA

as far as transportation, we ll drive it, i have been in business since i was 12 years old cutting the neighbors lawn, i have a full service landscape co and my main guy and i started a tree service four years ago. were just plowing for beer and gun money. one of our guys ditched our plow truck the other night and the backhoe driver charged us 85 bucks to pull it out. now i want one thats all. we live in a small college town in western pa called edinboro and are the go to guys in town. i think its time for a hoe, i know cat is the ****, but pricey, deer sounds good too, but i see a ton of case out there. thanks for the input guys, and keep it coming thank you
  12. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

I am in a similar situation I already have a bobcat for grading and dirt work and have been using it to push back banks this winter althoguh it doesnt compare to what a backhoe can do in the snow and is much slower. I was planning on buying a used mini excavator in the spring but now am thinking a backhoe i can use all year and start going for some bigger snow accounts, but still be able to use it on landscape jobs.
    Im in the same price range maby alittle higher than you and I have narrowed down my decision to a Case 580 or a Deere 310. If your plowing snow your going to want a heated cab and 4x4 front aux hyd. are nice if you might want to run a blade on the front, also do you forsee the need for an extenda hoe or can you just get by with a standard stick? all options that will effect the price of the machine. Also I dont know your operating experience but the case hoe comes wiht three differnt control patterns adn the 3 and 4 stick controls arent the easiest to run if your used to running an excavator or a 2 stick machine.
  13. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

In my personal experience I have had nothing but problems with cat backhoes. Their excavators and dozers are awsome but for some reason they missed the mark on the backhoes. I see 580 case backhoes everywhere I go but don't have a whole of experience with them. Personally I would go with deere. They are a nice reliable machine, easy to run, and I don't know anywhere that you can't get most parts for them overnight. With deere though, I would recommend a 410. The 310's are nice and that is what I run day to day, but if you ever get a chance to run a 410 after running a 310 you'll find that the little more reach, size and power makes a huge difference.
  14. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

I'm not going to get in this dog fight on witch backhoe is the best but in my opinion case backhoe are the best we have been using them for aleast 40 years and we have tried other brands but always go back to case. And we don't just push snow with them we have a masonry and concrete construction company so we work them pretty hard.
  15. tuney443

The OP hasn't been very informative of exactly what his intentions will be with his new hoe,but reading between the lines,I would venture to say that a 310 is really all he needs.
  16. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Case backhoes are really the flagship of the Case construction lineup. Good quality machines since the 70's. Just me but when I see all the chinese copycat machines they roll with Case design. I think really it boils to to personal preference because even if you THINK case has a superior design the resale value of JD and Cat cant be ignored. This summer I'm going to bug my boss about buying his 2001 310d we dont use.
  17. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

I have never run a case backhoe, but I would really like to try one out. The company I work for rented a case 130 excavator last fall and we were really pleased with it. The only reason it isn't sitting in the yard now was the price. It seems every company in my area has a 580 and when they replace it in comes another 580 so they must be a decent machine.
  18. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

I am in the same situation. a backhoe for 12 month use and big enough to do what i need in the winter with a 12-14 foot pusher and would only take 1 minute to take off and use for removal. i dont cut grass so it would work great for some of my bigger landscape jobs. i find deere are way over priced i used one before when my cat was in tansition to another job and was nothing compared to the cat. i have not used a case but they are everywhere and never hear bad things about them. i have run jcb 214's and they are very strong machines and well priced. but the only way to be sure is jump in it and see what fits you best. there are alot of deeres around here and as much as i think they are worst in comparison to what i have driven it might be route i take because of reliability.
  19. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

All backhoes have quirks in each brand but all in all any machine you choose will be a good one.My advise is go with a brand that has nearby service and parts.Do your homework look over all machines ask questions and get a feel for each dealer.
  20. tuney443

A 580 Case is indeed a very decent rig.It is well known that there's nothing better for fast easy digging.That is why they are the hoe of choice for septic contractors.For an all purpose and tough digging application,Deere can not be beat,Cat a fairly close second.Then there's the reliability,parts distribution network,and dealer servicing to consider.Go to any large equipment auction like Yoder and Frey or Vilsmier and compare the selling prices to 1 another. Deere and Cat will be on top.