1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice on buying 3500 dump w 8.1/allison

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gunsworth, Sep 22, 2011.

1. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

engine has 80k, truck/trans has 150k. body is pretty beat up so it has been worked, would it be worth it if i can get it for 6k, how long can i expect a trouble free life out of the allison?

its an 01 with a 9ft dump, dump is very solid, frame is just starting to lose factory undercoat.

I just need a few years out of it for the bigger work that is beating up my 01 2500hd

it is also 4x4
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Those 8.1 have great power, and I think the Alison is the best transmission you can get in any truck.
  3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

6 thousand seems like a very fair price, I'd pay it for that truck, put a plow on it and make all the money you spent on it and more in the first winter.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

That's a steal. I would buy it. The Allison behind a gasser should go forever. 8.1's get terrible MPG's, especially working, but that's a $10k truck IMO. I do wonder though why they had to do a motor at 70k......doesn't seem right.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Post pics and we can have a better idea on its condition.
  6. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

they did the motor because the shop broke the ear of the engine when doing the starter. since they were covering removing/installing an engine he found one for cheap with 80k, and figured it was a good time to put one in. the cab corners rusted through and were poorly fixed and rusting again, but now have bedliner on them too. the fenders are rusted to crap and dented up, rust all along the top of windsheild, interior is what you would expect from a 150k work truck (well worn). I have decided to pass on it, i can afford to buy it, but wont have money to put on a plow or money to cover repairs that may pop up, i am just gonna put the money into my current truck and jeep, then look into another dump in the spring since i will primarily need this for summer work. not sure what i will have for commercial plowing yet this year
  7. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

lol, damnit, i just talked myself out of it, now you guys have me reconsidering...

heres a picture, but it looks 10x worse in person

it is an air flow dump with new ez lift latches

guess i could always try to quick sell my truck craft dump insert to help buy a plow....

3500 dump.JPG
  8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

8.1's were a 200K mile service engine according to GM. I wouldnt worry about the trans if it shifts fine. They can take some abuse and are hard to limp in a stock 8.1L. Just smell the fluid in it. Im not easy on mine by any means and running a hot tune even when towing and have not had one problem other than little stupid maintenance stuff. Id buy it if it drove right. We cant tell how it drives so thats on you ;)
  9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

What kind of milage are you getting?
  10. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

You found the truck on craigslist?

I was gonna go look at it tmw, but now that I hear your description I think ill save my time.
  11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Whats that? You dont want to know.

6-8 city
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

LOL that's what I was afraid of......................
  13. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I had a 8.1/Allison in a 2500HD I had before I started landscaping/plowing. It was a great truck the motors are really strong as are the trannys. I dont think you'd have to worry about the the drivetrain at all. The rest of the truck is what you make of it. If its gonna be a work truck, then whats the point of finding a gem? its just gonna get beat up anyway. When I had my 8.1 I was getting pretty good mileage, much better than my truck I have now with the 6.0
  14. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

i have a 2002 chevy 2500hd with the duramax/allison combo and the trans is all original. can't say the same about the injectors on the engine thoughpayup
  15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wanna sell me it for the same price? ;)
  16. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

sorry. i cant sell it. i just bought it from my friend a month ago. i haven't even gotten the plow mount on it yet:)
  17. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Glad I saw this. I had a pretty much done deal with the guy a couple weeks ago, I was getting ready to drive 4 hours. He never called me the day he wanted me to come get it. Glad I didn't now lol
  18. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Can someone post the craigslist link?