1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on blade repair needed

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TheEquineFencer, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

When i got back to my shop today from plowing, the cutting edge was missing from my blade. It has worn the mounting through the bolt holes all the way on the drivers side and 1/2 way on the passenger side. What would be the "proper way" to repair it? I really do not want to cut the entire bottom angle iron off and replace it. I'm thinking if I can find the bottom angle iron from Western, just cut it off right where the angle turns down and weld the new angle to the bottom of the old. another option would be to clean up the back side of where the old angle is worn and lay some 1/4 or 1/2 flat stock behind it and weld it in place. Then I'd take some more and put at the bottom of where it's worn off and weld it to the bottom of the old blade, in front of the new flat stock I welded to the backside of the old. Then I'd just have to drill new holes in the new metal to match the new cutting edge. On the subject of cutting edge, who can I get one from at a reasonable price? I'm in North Carolina by the way. I'll try to post a link from Photobucket when I get a chance so you guys can see the damage.
    I just noticed i posted this in the wrong section earlier, showed up in the Blizzard section, OPPS.

Here are the links to the pictures of the blade.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...ictures004.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...ictures003.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...ictures002.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/u...ictures001.jpg

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

having trouble with the links.........just post the pics on here

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

ouch!

the best way i could think of would be is to take the mould board off put it upside down on two saw horse's cut the old angle off at the radius that it breaks the 90 at and weld the new angle on .but get a new edge first and lay the edge on the angle ,mark it and drill it ,or just measure it out and drill . if you take it off then you can clean it off and weld it easier

4. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Yep, that's what I'm thinking after I calmed down and took a long look at it. What type of steel is it, mild I bet, it didn't't take it long to disappear. I went back later today and found what was left of the blade. I talked to another plow guy that subs with the same guy I do, the southern asphalt is rough on blades. He said he used to plow up north and blades lasted a long time up there. Said his blade was like new when we started this season and it's all screwed up now. Who or where would you order another from? This is my first season of owning my own plow, before all I had to do was drive them for another guy last season when I started. I have another new blade I can get from a friend, it's about twice as thick and a lot longer. If I cut it off and "make it fit" will I have any problems with it. I'll try to post pics, never done it on here before. Thanks for the input.

1990 snow plow damaged blade 001 edited.jpg

1990 snow plow damaged blade 005 edited.jpg

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

what am i looking at on the second pic here? but the first pic is a little strange...i would realize if my whole cutting edge had disinegrated..???

6. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

SEcond one is a cutting edge that was left at my shop years ago, I think it's about 10foot long.

7. wild bill

edge

it's prob 5/8 thick if off a 10 or larger 1/2 up to 8 1/2 or 9 ft , if you make it fit you will have to do the same with every replacement there after .most replacement edges are 1/2 some stock one's are 3/8 on 7 1/2 std plows .which one do you have ? i have seen some guy's have 1/2 x 8" wide edges made to replace the 6" wide stock one ,i think central part's warehouse can do it . but the thicker edge weigh's more and a little bit harder to lift .:)

8. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

My plow is 7 1/2 wide, I double checked it today. Yeah, I really did not think that far ahead as to when I might wear the "new" blade out. I was just looking at; I've got it here and it's "free", all I'd need is the angle iron. I guess that thick of angle iron is hard to come by in just a 7 1/2 foot section, or is it standard angle iron? What do cutting edges and bolts usually price out at?

9. wild bill

edge

it should just be mild steel 1/4 thick. i have seen them go for 90-125.00 depending ,but get the 1/2 inch thick one .usually the bolt's are supplied with the edge. try some welding shop's if you don't have any steel suppliers near you should be able to buy it buy the foot . check the width of the top of the angle that is left but i think it is 2" x 1/4 mabe 2 1/2 wide

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I wouldn't try to remove the old angle. Get a piece if flat stock the right size and thickness. weld it on adding a couple gussets to the back for strength. Then match drill your blade mount holes.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Or keep plowing the way it is till it wears down and bolt a new angle iron to the bottom.:laughing:

12. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i have done 3 western conventionals like yours this winter. 2 of them i went ahead and cut the angle iron off the bottom and welded a new piece on them. The 3rd one i got luck and just had to weld half th holes up as they were egged open a bit.
    i wouldnt worry too muh with that cutting edge you have. yes, it will add axtra weight. but will last a little longer and add more weight to backdrag snow better.

13. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

14. jadyejr

jadyejr Senior Member
    from NC

hey floyd! How's this coming along?

15. TheEquineFencer

TheEquineFencer Member

Well after having the the truck at the bank site for 2 1/2 months and not getting a check for it among other things, I brought it home. The transmission only has first and second gear now, leaked fluid like a seive on the way home, I think that's what got the transmission. I've found one for $300, now if I could get paid for the any of the work I'd go buy it and stick it in. The blade repair will only cost me about $75 or less for the angle iron. Dillion Supply has a 20 foot stick for about $65 plus shipping, it's cheaper to have it dropped off at the house than to drive to get it. I've not heard anything out of our buddy in a while now. This whole situation has really screwed up my "cash flow" or lack there of. I'd have been better off to have left the truck parked and instead gone to Virginia and run generators for AT&T that last snow storm. I just turned down a chance to go to Long Island this week to run generators out for AT&T because I'm in a class in Wilson trying to get on at the tire plant there. Have you heard anything?