1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on bed rail repair

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 160ClassBuck, Jun 9, 2008.

1. 160ClassBuck

160ClassBuck Member
    from WI

Took the truck bed cap off for the first time and had several spots where it had worn down to the metal. Thinking of doing a few things: 1. Have truck spray on liner extended over the rail and down about 1" on the side or 2. Get some primer on the worn down spots and purchasing the plastic bed rail covers and install them to cover up the spots.

Thoughts on what you would do?

Truck Bed rail.jpg
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

depend's on how you work the truck ,i like the plastic cap's but you will still get some rubbing of the paint when it expand's and contract's .i like the one's with the stake pocket's with clamp in stake pocket hold down's (stainless) then they will not move around as much .but spray on may be quicker and cheaper in the long run :waving:
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I would just touch it up with some primer and get some kind of diamond plate bed rail cover.
  4. Naudi2u

Naudi2u Member

Your supposed to have paint on the rails? Thats what I am doing wrong. I use the the 10lb finish hammer twice a year to get them into shape!
  5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I have spray-on bedliner over mine and LOVE it! Fix it once and forget it.
  6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Do it once and be done - if you put the plastic covers on, it'll eventually wear the paint off again, just like the drop-in bed liners do...
  7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

spray on , its the best way to go
  8. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

X 4 Spray & go the only way to do it!
  9. SS2500HD

SS2500HD Junior Member

x 5,6,7,8......... bed liner over the rails.
  10. er15wander

er15wander Junior Member
    from Houston

spray on bedliner

I have qwikliner on my truck and it looks well.
  11. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

yeah go with bedliner. you will love it. put primer on there your gonna spend more money as well. look at products like upol raptor. its a DIY spray on bed liner.
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you been looking at my truck for ideas? :jester:
  13. er15wander

er15wander Junior Member
    from Houston

spray on bedliner

I have qwikliner on my truck.Qwikliner spray on bedliner has a lifetime warranty against chipping, peeling or cracking.

14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I used some self sticking weather stripping on the rail before I put it in ....Helps cushion it ... Works pretty good !!!
  15. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Whats with the sudden explosion of the name qwik-liner on here? Or is this something I've been missing.