1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on a Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BigDave12768, Jan 8, 2009.

1. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking into buying one this summer. I will buy new or close to it. What should I look for? Any brands more bullet proof than others? I plan on buying bag stufff only. But would like optioon to use other. Also a ball park price would be nice. I looked a bit online. They seem to be about 2k

2. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

I have a air-flo mss which will shoot sand/salt and straight salt. I bought mine used and they are pricey new though. I see a lot of guys with Fisher and Meyer's.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I got a price of around $1600 for the RT3 TGS 600 - close to $2000 for the TGS 1100 RT3. Thats BOSS too, forgot to add that. I just bought a 1.5 yd SaltDogg for $3000. I was going to go with the TGS1100 but figured for a few extra bucks mind as well get something that I wont "outgrow" per say.

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

the new buyer's/saltdogg TGS06 tailgate spreaders are real nice, also the snow ex pivot pro 1075 is nice and the bulk pro line is pretty nice too. id prefer the snow ex spreaders because they are lower and allow better visibility.

http://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/TGS06.html

http://www.snowexproducts.com/

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Stay away from the Western 2500. Enough said.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

he he, glad to see you got your refund...

the point about looking at future needs is a good one, I used a fisher 1000 for 4 years and this year working for someone else I am using a 2.3 yard stainless electric Smith. I love bulk, so much easier.

however, since you asked about tailgates here are some thoughts from experience:
    • Think about putting it on and taking it off, if doing it by yourself Boss makes one that has a power assist the help.
    • Get a swing away to make loading pallets of rocksalt easy. I regretted not getting one every time I had to hand load. Someone just came out with a model that does not require drilling all over your frame to swing it.
    • Get a variable speed controller.
    • If your going to drive with the hopper full make sure you get one that can close its gate so it all doesn't pour out along the way.
    • A Screen on top is great for keeping chunks from falling in from partially frozen bags or bulk.
    • A vibrator that you can turn on and off if you plan on using with bulk.
    • Get one of those grass skirts you see hanging off RV's, salt spray kills your brake/hydraulic/ac lines.
    • Make sure the spinner is protected with some steel in front so when backing into a snow bank you don't bend it.
    • always clean the grease nips after every use and fill often, replacing the lower berring is a cut and grind job if you don't.
    • Light'er up! put reverse lights/salt spray light/flashing warning lights and your license plate on it.
    • I missed not being able to hook a tow strap up to the trailer hitch, so if you like yanking people out, don't use a tailgate mount or get one that still allows you to put a tongue in.

7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Good advice there. I just went from the tailgate models to the Salt Dogg 1.5 electric. I hope to never need to use my old tailgate spreader again.:redbounce

8. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I have a SnowEx 1875 with the pivot mount, and I love it......

9. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

AirFlo MSS FTMFW

10. johnknwd

johnknwd Junior Member

+1 on the SnowEx 1875 with the swing mount. Load the skid right in the back of the truck and on your way. You can meter salt very carefully with the controller, which is very important to me right now given our current salt prices. Also you can spread any material with no problems. I am very satisfied with the product, and a 2 stage salt spreader control where you can control both material volume and material distance separately is awesome. The guys really have it down after a small lesson in salt conservation. The only problem I have is that one of the guys lost the lid:realmad: The thing has paid for itself in salt conservation 10 times over. I've got mine set up with a nozzle on the material deflector to spray liquid in a prewetting application.

11. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I have had a Meyer Mate for a couple years now & never had any issues. I load it on the bumper myself; not too heavy, but awkward. I really like the looks & design of the Salt Dogg spreader though. It seems like the took the design of the Mate a few steps farther & added everything the Mate is missing. One thing I don't like about the Mate is how it mounts against the tailgate. My tailgate & bumper is all scratched up.

12. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I'd be interested in more info on how you retrofitted it for liquid. Basic design etc.

13. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Just wondered if the guys that bought the Salt Dogg poly V box spreaders could tell me a little about them, good and / or bad. THANKS !!!

14. Dodge Plow Pwr

QUOTE=SnowGuy;711211]Just wondered if the guys that bought the Salt Dogg poly V box spreaders could tell me a little about them, good and / or bad. THANKS !!![/QUOTE]

Just bought mine and have only used it for this last storm. I love it and will never use a tailgate spreader again. I paid $3095.00 delivered to my shop. Cheapest I had found. I like that you can control the auger speed and the spinner speed seperate. It also has a vibrator built in as well. It will take you a little bit to get used to the way it works so you don't use too much or not enough salt. It is deffinately worth the $$$ in my opinion.ussmileyflag

15. J J Landscaping

J J Landscaping Junior Member

Info on your snowex spreader. Why is the snowex pro 1875 the only tailgate spreader advertising a 50/50 sand/salt mix. An what does this spreader have that the smaller snowex spreaders don't. I would like a smaller one but sand/salt is a must. Thank you for any help on this. Jimmy - j j landscaping - enfield ct