1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on a 2003 f550

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04trd, Aug 17, 2014.

1. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Hey guys I've got a few questions for you regarding a f550 7.3 psd. I've been plowing for years and finally wanted to get something bigger than a 2500. Nothing really caught my eye until the guy who sells my salt called saying he's selling his truck. It's a 2003 f550 with a blizzard 810. Single cab 10 foot aluminum flat bed. The truck has 137k and the motor and trans were replaced at 80k. Would this make a good plow truck? Yea it has rust at the bottoms of the doors and one cab light starting to rust but other than that it's pretty clean. Decent rubber brakes look good. I do 6 big lots and about 50 houses. I know the truck is a bit of over kill on the houses but I could manage to do them. I just don't want to make the wrong decision. O! And the truck and plow are being sold for 13k. 810 looks very good. Not too much rust or anything. Stickers are still even on it. Anything I should look for? In either the truck or plow.

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If the engine was replaced, then the big issues are already dealt with. Rust on the oil pan, rust on the engine oil cooler (round tube just below drivers side exhaust manifold) exhaust manifold rust...
    But heres what I know besides..
    The cv joint on the front drive shaft is not an easy fix when they go. Need to cut it off, and weld the new one on and then balance it. Tanks tend to rust out when shyte collects between the tank and the skid plate. Front wheel bearings go more often than a pickup. They wear tires front and rear worse than a pickup. The power steering hoses that run to the brake booster can and will rub through on the steering shaft. They cost more to run, register, and insure.

If you can afford it, my advice is to go buy a new leftover F350 and a new 9'6" V plow. The payment is a drag, but getting into a brand new truck at 3am to go plow 30 hours is NOT.

3. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Hmmm very good point about all that stuff that could and will go wrong eventually. Landscaping isn't my main income in the summer. I'm a heavy equipment operator during the summer do I drive a little vw golf tdi to save on fuel and wear and tear. And right now I just can't see sinking 30 grand give or take a few , on a truck that will just get used in the winter.

4. Buswell Forest

from NH

Then a nice later model F350 with a V plow..but I have owned a 2000 F550 4x4 7.3 diesel. They are very expensive to own. They will plow like a D6 caterpillar though..and when they are stuck...they are stuck.
    I said new because $13k is almost half way to a new leftover F350 and a leftover is eligible for 0%, including the plow and the sander if you wanted one...my payment @ $36,500 OTD, $4000 down, and 0% is $542 a month....plowing pays for the year's payment and then some. But I do use it year round.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  5. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

That might work if I got laid off. I'm a heavy equipment operator and I would plowing just for some extra income. I figured for the price I will give it a shot.

6. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

Who is offering that deal?

Thanks (dont mean to hi-jack)

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Ford. 2014. 6k rebate on diesels I think

8. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

How are the new diesels holding up?

9. Buswell Forest

from NH

Your credit rating, debt to income and overall debt load all factor in when they decide interest rates. I was surprised, but I did get 0%. This was when I bought it and did the paperwork Jan 3rd, 2013.
    I'm going to go order a 2015 F350 diesel in a few weeks. Very excited.

10. Buswell Forest

from NH

Very well. A friend of mine is a fleet mechanic who oversees 100 Ford 6.7 diesels. He is a die hard GM guy. And he says they are excellent, and so are the transmissions.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

there are better deals then 0% out there

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't get too concerned about the stuff Buswell listed. I have and have had 450's and 550's and never had to replace a CV joint. One tank rusted at the crimp. Nothing to do with crap getting caught in it. Never had brake lines rub through. Wheel bearings and tires have not been an issue either. And I am running 1500# plows on all of them.

He is correct about the oil pan and oil cooler, however. The other big thing he missed is ball joints are hit and miss on these trucks. They can go forever or not. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

I don't really need it, but for that price, I'd probably be all over it, as long as it really is a 7.3 and not a 6.0.

13. Buswell Forest

from NH

Elaborate?

14. 04trd

04trd Senior Member

Yea it's a 7.3. I'll be picking it up this weekend. Will post pictures as soon as I get it