1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on 06 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AAJay, Oct 19, 2006.

1. AAJay

AAJay Junior Member

I have a 06 GMC 2500HD reg cab pickup. How well does it work with this truck? How would you rate this plow compared to others? Etc. Any feedback is appreciated!

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd like to help you, but I can't understand what you're looking for. Read your post again.

3. mpowers241

mpowers241 Junior Member

2006 Gmc K2500 Hd Ext Cab

I just bought this truck, in SLT trim with Duramax / Allison 6 speed combo, 4WD, lots of bells and whistles, figured it would be a good truck to haul family around in when I wasn't doing work.

Was told that truck was fine for plowing at dealer. Buddy of mine said that extended cab may present a problem for plowing. Asked dealer if they knew anything about it, said he had plenty of people plowing with the truck.

Went to local Fisher dealer, great guy, spent an hour and a half with me explaining plows, let me drive his truck around, attach plow, etc. to get the feel of it. He says that the concern GMC has over extended cab plow is largely due to their liability fears as opposed to operational problems, and that he would have no reservations putting an 8 foot Xblade on the truck, especially since I will likely be a casual (driveway) plower.

Great truck so far, just would like to plow with it.

Does anyone have any experience using a plow on the GMC Extended cab with duramax?
    Would welcome your input.

Mike Powers,
    2006 GMC Sierra K2500 HD
    6.6 Duramax w Allison 6 speed

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

To the above post...^^^^^^ That truck would be fine for plowing. Thousands of people plow with those trucks.

5. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

I plow with an '05 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab with Duramax/Allison combo, you won't have a bit of trouble, they really do well with plows...

Bill

6. Antnee77

from RI

Long bed or short bed?

7. mpowers241

mpowers241 Junior Member

Short Bed, and a crew cab ( 4 doors), not extended. My bad.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Is it me or is an 8 foot x-blade a bit overkill for the casual plower??

9. mpowers241

mpowers241 Junior Member

You could be right - plow dealer said that the performance of the x blade was a lot better,
    but maybe it is more like overkill.

right now, I am more concerned about whether the truck is OK to plow with than what I will put on it. Got a little bit of time to research, so I figure I'll use it.

10. G&S in Md

G&S in Md Junior Member

The only problem I have found is that the turning radius on my new truck which is an extended cab, is longer then my old truck that was a std cab. Other than that, get used to the new turning radius, and its not a problem.

11. Antnee77

from RI

You're fine. That truck will handle a nice 8' blade with no problem! But I definitely wouldn't waste my money on an X Blade unless you plan to do some hefty plowing.

12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I heard a story similair in '97 when I wanted to put a plow on my K3500 crew long bed. They said they would not put a large plow on my truck because of safety. The story was the truck would be long and heavy enough to push a school bus over. Not sure I believe it but, both the car dealer and the plow shops said the same.

13. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The truck should handle the plow with no problem, especially since you will be an occasional plower. My concern would be the length of the truck and the turning radius A crew cab is a looong truck, and if your doing driveways which require maneuverability, this is not the truck you want to be using. Some of the driveways I do with my regular cab with an 8' blade, can be tricky simply because of the size of the truck.

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I would not put a 7.5 blade on this truck, too small when you have blade angle and the tite tracks will be outside of the blade. Go with a 8 ft blade you will be much happier. I run a Boss 8.5 straight on my 2005 2500 HD ext cab short box and have no problems. I do have Timberen's on the front and air bags on the rear.

Regards Mike

15. Antnee77

from RI

Just curious, the air bags out back are for the sander, right?

16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yes I have a 1.5 yard spreader in the rear. I also have the T bars turned 5 times and I put 265 tire's on the truck.

Regards Mike