1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by landfusion, Aug 23, 2009.

1. landfusion

landfusion Junior Member

Well I have been reading through here I would have to say there is alot of info.
    First of all I am new to the business and would like some help.
    I operate out of New Brunswick, Canada, have a small excavation company. Seeing how winter here pretty well stops earthwork I am going to get into snow removal.
    My idea is to try to get a few commercial and a few apt. building contracts then shoot for a bit of residential to fill the gap.
    My plan for equipment is ,depending on contract amounts, a 4x4 tractor (90-100 HP) with a 9' Horst 4200 swing wing, frame mount on the front and a 92" Pronovost/Normand blower on the rear.
    Also to cover the salting, a electric Poly Salt Dogg mounted on a late 90's chev 1 ton 4x4.
    I would put a V or a Wideout on the front pick up the slack.
    Now that being said, I have a few ques.
    I would love to ask about pricing, but after reading other posts, that aint gonna work. lol
    My first ques. is how would find out how many storms my area had last year, is the website? the way they bid jobs hear is based on events.
    Second, when donig businesses that stay open during storms, (gas stations) how do you calculate how many times you will have to clean it out?
    I don't know if there is many people on here from my neck of the country so I'm not sure if anyone can help.
    Anyway love the site and hope to hear from ya.

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

3. landfusion

landfusion Junior Member

Thanks, I knew there had to be something there. now I have to figure my costs for salt (quanity, storage).
    Has anyone ever used one of those steel containers (sea-cans) for salt storage?

4. landfusion

landfusion Junior Member

Anybody else with any input?:confused:

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Welcome to PS.

We've never used sea cans, but have seen them being used-you'll need a skid steer to stuff them and empty them-a bit of PITA in my opinion.

If you know of a disposal company that may possibly rent you a 40/50 or 60 yd bin, you could probably use that too with little aggravation. You may be able to buy them cheap at an auction.