1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drafto, Feb 19, 2004.

1. drafto

drafto Member

2003 Dodge Ram – 18,000 miles, loaded with everything I want, everything. Sticker price was $42,000. Guy was asking $28,500………..no brainer, sell my truck 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 for $10,500 (or whatever I could get over that) and buy this guys 2003 Ram.

Problem – He put a brand new $5,000 Boss V-plow on it 3 weeks ago, used twice. He needs to sell the plow with the truck. $33,500. What the F!!

Where does this leave me? My plow (Meyers e-z mount, E-60H, C-8) is essentially brand new (purchased at the end of last winter used 4 times and garaged kept) also, either way I sell a plow I am taking the loss on the depreciation? A $500 or even $1,000 loss could possibly be acceptable, but what if it was more? Unacceptable. Advice needed?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Personally, I would pass. But then I don't like the appearance of being bamboozled. First, you're not buying the truck for $28,500. You are buying a package deal for $33,500. You have to decide if that's what you want. Don't base your decision on whether or can sell one of the plows or for how much. Base your decision solely on - Do I want this truck and plow for this much money?
  3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

You will like the boss v alot more than the meyers.Its up to you.
  4. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

tell me if im wrong but when i add it up your spending 5000 on a boss v isnt list like 3800 tell the guy to gert screwed whats wrong with yours anyways
  5. drafto

drafto Member

Nothing is wrong with mine, it is getting up there in miles and am afraid of the nickel and diming to come. I have customers and don't want them and my business to inevitably pay the price. At $28,500 I would have bought the truck and put my plow on it. I will probably end up walking away from this deal b/c HE got ripped off on a plow and can't afford his truck. At $28,500 it WAS a deal! Why this guy would put that plow on it and pay someone in the middle of winter to do it is beyond me. I will go look at it on Sunday but that is aas far is it will go, unless he accepts $29,500 for it, then it would be a deal again.
  6. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

What trim line and what options? Details!
  7. Patriot

Patriot Junior Member

$5000 for a BOSS V? Does it have gold plated cutting edges?
  8. drafto

drafto Member

9. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Nice ride. Seems about $2,500 too high (just truck). Check out this site:

NADA had no current info. Meantime I'll ask my brother. He works at a Dodge dealer.
  10. drafto

drafto Member

When I booked it on KBB there wasn't as many options listed as this truck had. I have been pricing new trucks, I have the suppliers discount for Dodge and I wasn't happy with what I could get for about $30,000. In 2004 you can't get the sport appearance (at least what I was told) with the plow prep. I am not sold on the chrome up front, just my personal preference though, and to get it solid like that truck is the sport appearance. I think I am going to hold off, how do you like you truck, what kind of mileage do you get, my 99 360 gets about 9 mpg. This guy claims this Hemi gets about 12-14 Highway? Any truth to that?
  11. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Definitely a nice ride. Nice purr. Leather even better (my truck doesn't, new Honda does). I've been averaging 12 MPG around town but have done 14MPG+ on Interstates. Plowing average 8-10. This engine is much more efficient than the 360's.
    My brother says he just took delivery on a sport/plow prep truck so no conflict there.

Check out this link for new pricing MSRP:

You'll definitely appreciate the changes they made in this model over previous (94-01/02) models.

12. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

ALSO, definitely hold off on the 2003.
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

The plow may list for 3800, but you have to add the cost to install, snow deflector, and smart lock cylinders. That can all add up real fast. My 9'2" boss was right around 5000 installed.
  14. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

True, but still doesn't add up to asking price. New truck/plow is better deal. Especially with financing & incentives etc. That way you can customize your own setup. Plus you havn't lost the first year of warranty. The more I think of this deal the better new sounds.
  15. drafto

drafto Member

When you say your brother just took delivery do you mean bought one or accepted a trade in? Also, I am willing to drive for a better deal, is there any benfit to driving up to your brother's dealership? I agree on the first year of warranty thing, but someone has to eat up the depreciation, at $28,500 is it me? I am sick about the plow thing, so disregard that in this equation.
  16. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

He's in central New Hampshire so I doubt the drive would be worth it. The sport/plow truck I mentioned was fresh from the factory. The dealer he works for is also a Diamond/Western dealer. So they install their own plows. I'm sure with a little research you could get an excellent deal a lot closer. The main reason I got my new truck from him was my 1/2T died and a big storm was on the way. I have to go make some $$ this afternoon, chat more this evening.
  17. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

OK, apparently I wasn't paying attention. The truck my brother's dealer has is identical to the one you were looking at.
    2003 Dodge Quad cab 2500 Laramie, Silver, sport package,
    Diamond Plow w/backdrag edge (owner just installed)
    New BF Goodrich tires (oem)
    Dual exhaust, cold air intake
    woodgrain dash
    strobes front and rear
    Tonneau cover
    20K miles
    It's essentially the same truck as the other one you were looking at. This one just has a lot more. My brother had already left work without asking price. He thinks this one would be the same $$ as other app 28K range. Previous owner traded in for new Diesel.
  18. drafto

drafto Member

Alright the guy is down to $30,000 for everyhting? The truck books at $26,500 and the plow is worth??? $3,500??? Now do I pull the trigger?
  19. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I don't know. Its a hard call. I was lookin at the trucks, you could get the hemi for 31,500 brand new, with a 2500-3k rebate. So it came out to financing (after taxes and charges) 30k.

So, you could spend 30k and get a brand new truck. The plow is a nice plow, and being brand new is worth the money. I would give up the meyers for that.

Now if you had a western/fisher I would buy the brand new truck, and put the old plow on it.