1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tacovic, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tacovic

tacovic Member

Hey guys I am new to the snow world and would really like some advice from some seasoned pros. I run a lawncare company in the summer months and plowing comes with the territory. I run a pretty small company with a couple of employees. I am looking at getting a plow truck to sub for another company for 70$/hr and also send my guys out on a sidewalk crew. I am up in the air whether or not I should drop 23k on a 07 duramax with a new boss v plow, or look older trucks with gas engines with plows for under 10k. I fear that with the cheaper trucks I will be fixing it all the time and loosing money. Any advice?

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I don't know, can you drop $23K plus on a new truck and plow? Do you have contracts signed worth atleast your line itemed monthly budget including employees expenses for the next three years?

3. tacovic

tacovic Member

Ive got 1 commercial contract lined up myself as well as many residential while plowing for a company for $70/hr. Im not necessarily budgeted to precise.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You might be able to make more money subbing out your guys.Just keep a few places for yourself to plow and not get overbooked. New trucks and plows break too.

5. tacovic

tacovic Member

I am subbing out some guys for a sidewalk crew which puts $40 extra bucks/hr in my pocket.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If I could afford the 07 I would buy that. Even though they all break the older one's break more often IMO. Can you use the 07 in the summer or do you already have all the trucks you need?